Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen cubby

Kitchen cubby

Since we moved the shelf above our stove up to accommodate the new microwave/vent hood (previously only a vent hood), the doors didn't fit anymore to cover the newly installed plug. We decided that this would make a good display area, but I needed to figure out how to cover the plug. Originally we were going to just put some cleats on the sides and top/bottom of the cabinet and attach some bead board. I didn't like the way it was trimmed out, so scrapped that idea.

Well, this is what we've come up with, which will be painted to match some of the other new cabinets.

I've removed the center stile and the box to slides into the space. It's shallow with the back attached to cover the plug in the back of the cabinet. The face will be attached to the box once painted. The whole thing will be held in place by a screw or two on each side from the adjoining cabinets so that it can be removed as needed

The corner moulding around the top will be removed and cut to go around the new face once I get it painted to help tie it all together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101227_232315.jpg   IMG_20101228_000526.jpg   IMG_20101228_225616.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Good job Darren. After the color match, it will look even better.

Looks great and the shape blends in nicely with the cabinets
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Looks great. You are really getting that kitchen whipped into shape!

Looks great! That's a nice detail to add, and the form is most appropriate.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

You've done some nice modification in there.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Thanks all. I've enjoyed doing the mods to the kitchen. A lot of it was my wife's idea, she's got a good eye for making things work together. I did cheat the other day and buy those flip-outs for the drawer faces in front of the sink as well as one of those two tier racks for pots and pot lids that pull out under the counter. Next project is to build a rack for cookie sheets and pizza stones under the counter so we can get them out of the stove. Also still need to build the cabinet doors for the new cabinets, probably will get to those about the time Brent gets his table finished.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...I did cheat the other day and buy those flip-outs for the drawer faces in front of the sink as well as one of those two tier racks for pots and pot lids that pull out under the counter...
    Get your hands on a Woodworkers Hardware catalog. Lots of stuff in there for custom cabinetry and racks, etc. Even if you don't buy from them, the catalog pix and descriptions often give you ideas for making your own.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks Jim...That will be a good resource!

Here's the organizer we installed, was a bit cheaper at the blue borg but not much.

For the large pots I'm just building pull out drawers from some birch I have and putting them on full extension glides.

Also did the same brand for these...
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-29-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Darren

Was a bit colder than I cared for, so decided not to work in the shop today. Instead I decide to try an finish up some projects in the kitchen. I re-stuffed the insulation in the crawl space under the kitchen and cleaned it up, got the keyboard tray stained and varnished (more pics to come once it's installed...just a bunch of boards right now), removed the last section of wall paper and mudded the wall, and painted the kitchen cubby.

Would have like to got it all done, but it just doesn't seem like you make much progress when you're waiting for stuff to dry.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20110102_001009.jpg  
    Darren