My Virginia Shop Thread

I envy you Ned, stressful or not, moving sounds great...we bought this 2 bedroom starter home back in '84 with the thought of staying a couple of years then moving up...I don't know who collects more junk, her or me...Don't think we'll ever move, on the account the only thing I throw out is jokes and the Mrs only throws cold looks :D

Hi gang,
turns out the sewer thing is a 'known issue' and it basically isn't getting fixed short of tearing out a BUNCH of concrete and many thousands of dollars. We simply cannot take 'back to back' showers AND run the dishwasher/clothes washer. :rolleyes:

Ken, thanks, we're still in the 'where the heck are we going to put all of this stuff' phase... and man is there a Lot of stuff to put... 16' truck... who knew that much stuff would fit in there???

Isn't it amazing how much "stuff" you can put in a small space? Six years ago we moved from a 1300 sq ft house to a 2500 sq ft house. We have larger main rooms, but still haven't added that much furniture, and really only a desk and some nice file cabinets at that. Couldn't put another thing in if we had too. I'll repeat what you said earlier...How did all of this fit in the other house????? Guess we aren't bumping into things, or each other, as much as we did there. :thumb: Take your time putting things up. Remember, you'll have to find them later. :rofl::rofl: Jim.

You may not have anything to worry about, but you might make sure you don't have any outside drains (door stoops outside the basement) that run to the sewer line. My first house also had one outside the garage door they tied into the sewer line. When the sewer line was stopped up by tree roots and it was raining, water would go in the outside drain and come up through the inside. :doh: We got where we kept everything about 24" off the ground in the basement and in rubbermaid tubs.

Update

Made another run to NY this week... and am currently continuing to sort the immense piles of stuff here in the new house.
I can't quite say I brought 'all' of my tools or my wood, but the shop now has more 'stuff' stored in it than tools or wood. I brought down all of my 'short' lumber, along with my newfangled bench and the tall storage cabinet. I also found and hauled my collection of pen blanks... one of these days I'll set up the lathe...
Found 2 turning clubs nearby, maybe someday I'll get the time off I need to attend a meeting and join one of them. Good thing is, one is about 15 miles from the house, the other is still a manageable 35 miles away.

I did a demo for a penturner's forum a few years back. Was a great time and if it weren't 5 hours or more away in one direction I would have been interested in joining the group (even though that isn't my thing, joining that is). So I hope time works on your side for joining the turning group endeavor, think it will be time well spent both physically, mentally and socially.
I do not ever plan on moving. The girls can have a farm sale when we die. I have to much , errrr, stuff that would have to be moved. :eek:

Had a heart to heart with the LOML the other day. She allowed as how my pile o' lumber needed to be put away, and that for now, closing in the carport seems to be the cheapest/quickest way to get my shop 'working'. Ultimately, we both want a new structure in the side yard, but that's down the road. I've got a 'short' week next week, so on Monday I'm going to go find some lumber and throw a couple of walls together, (I only need two and a half since the east wall is solid and there is a half wall roughly down the center of the building). I'm going to do a little exploratory surgery to the half wall, to see if I can cut a doorway through the center of it, giving me a bit more floor space in nicer weather.
One thing for certain, I'll be putting in the solar heat wall I didn't get around to up in NY, Once the trees lose their greenery this fall I should have a nice toasty warm shop for very little money.

Pics once I start slinging lumber.

Well, I've run the numbers, and I 'should' get a functional shop by sometime next weekend... and all for about $500. I'm not going fancy, it's a shop after all... I'm just going for 'closed in, tools out of the elements and secure'. Spent the day with the LOML and Patrick (our youngest) exploring nearby Staunton and then we hit the local 'book fair' (discount sales of an amazing array of books). I picked up a Pat Spielman intarsia book for $3... figuring I can get Patrick learning on the scroll saw with it.

Thunderbirds are Go! (tomorrow, providing I can nab my Dad's SUV & utility trailer)!

if you only want to close it in and keep it dry, are there any salvage places around where you can pick up corrugates sheets of fiberglass? that green stuff you see on shed roofs?
I know I helped someone who managed to get around 15 of the sheets, 2feet by 8 feet to put a temp roof on a shed that had collasped.
We just screwed the sheets down and to this day, I dont think he ever replaced them.
He paid something like 9 dollars a used sheet.
You could screw them in under the gutters and down by the slab. A drop of silicone around the bottom and you have walls that will keep snow and water out.(and take you only 3 hours to put up and full enclose the carport. Just a thought)

Allen,
I'll keep it in mind, so far though, my plan is to just put up two 'simple' walls, 2x4 studs, 16" on center etc. I'm then going to put some smartside sheathing on it, and since that's only $23 or so apiece, and I only need about 8 sheets total, I'm going to go 'new'. I did just find a re-store shop in Staunton (pronounced 'stanton' not 'stawnton' btw), however I haven't been there to shop yet.
I am going to use some of the clear or smoked (jury is still out) clear corrugated sheets so I have some daylight when/if I'm out there during the daytime. I've only got about 7' of wall on the ends, so I'm planning on about 1 1/2' to 2' (will decide later) of clear at the top of the walls That will take just about one and a half sheets for the ends, plus about 1/2 to 1 more sheets for the 'midwall' down the center of the shop.
One nice thing about the carport is that the 'hard' build is already done, roof and overall structure of the building, I'm just closing it in for 'security' and weather control

New Years Shop resolution:

Hi gang,
thought I would resurrect this thread. Finances and work schedule just haven't allowed me the time to do what I would have preferred, which is to enclose the carport and make that my shop here in VA.

I temporarily took over the back porch this summer/fall and did some scrolling, but I really would like to do more than just that. I spent some of my christmas gift money on a couple of new tools, and want to get my lathe up and running finally, including setting up my grinder so I can keep the chisels sharp.

SO, since the carport is 'out', I'm going to re-focus on the basement. while it has many 'issues'... the largest being a pain in the neck set of stairs/entrance... I'm going to move as many of my tools down there that I can manage... the stairwell access is extremely rudimentary... and horsing the complete tools down there is just about impossible. I needed major help from my son to get the bandsaw onto the back porch. I'm debating whether or not I should break it down into 'base' and 'saw' and move it down the stairs 'now' or live with it on the un-heated but out of the weather porch.

Where did I put those wrenches?

.....I'm debating whether or not I should break it down into 'base' and 'saw' and move it down the stairs 'now' or live with it on the un-heated but out of the weather porch.

Where did I put those wrenches?

Ned, is the carport 'out' for good, or just until time & money allow?
If your only using the BS for bowl blanks/turning, maybe a small portable heater would keep the chill off while in use in the porch, and save your back some possible misery.

Oh yeah, if you can't find the wrenches, remember the forstner bits when you go to buy new ones :thumb:

Ned, is the carport 'out' for good, or just until time & money allow?
If your only using the BS for bowl blanks/turning, maybe a small portable heater would keep the chill off while in use in the porch, and save your back some possible misery.

Oh yeah, if you can't find the wrenches, remember the forstner bits when you go to buy new ones :thumb:

Ken,
I expect that the bandsaw is going to be used for more than just trimming turning blanks. The TS is going to continue to 'live' outside, unless I get really ambitious. The carport is out for the long term at this point, time and money are both in short supply, but I also got the impression that any 'permanent' modification of the carport wasn't going to be appreciated by my mother and aunt, aka landlord.

What about that shed you have on the property?

shedr.jpg