Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one still use their old mitre box

Any one still use their old mitre box

I have this on my clean-up/tune-up list (along with a lot of my tools). I bought it back in 2001 and mostly use it for smaller and delicate trim pieces. The box is a Miller Falls, not sure of the year or model as the label is missing. It expands out for about a 10" straight cut or a 7" angled.

Anyone else still use theirs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101230_211820.jpg   IMG_20101230_212246.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I do. In fact, I just bought a new good one. I hate the noise of all the big vroom vroom power tools and try to avoid them when possible.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

It looks like a Miller Falls Langdon ACME Improved. Very nice! I have been looking for one. I just live in the wrong part of the country.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I saw another on ebay today, might search for 'miller falls'. That's where I picked this one up at. The back guide had gotten crack and repaired on mine at one point, but they did a good job brazing it up.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I really don't like buying without seeing something in person. I did buy a few items on eBay, but it is such a hit or miss proposition that I don't do it any more. There is a saw guy that I trust on eBay and that is about it. He is well known among the forums.

I might just have to use some of my zillion air miles I have and fly back East when the big tool shows are going and pick me up some old iron!
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I used to have one that looked very similar. I don't know what happened to it. Haven't seen it for quite some time.
    I see quite a few of them pretty cheap on CL from time to time.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Yes I do still use one I picked up at of all places Goodwill couple of years ago.

I sure do. I bought this one a couple of years ago, and recently took it apart and restored it. Sharpening the saw was an epiphany for me, and it works just great now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stenley 244 miter box and saw.JPG   Stanley 244 plate.JPG   IMG_6846.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    It looks like a Miller Falls Langdon ACME Improved. Very nice! I have been looking for one. I just live in the wrong part of the country.
    Bill you just don't know the right people. I have a MF that was delivered right to my shop.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I got mine in 1966. I was helping remodel a house and this was on top of a junk pile. Asked the home owner if I could haul it off for him. Dad bought me a back saw for my B'Day to go with it. Free is nice!!