Thread: Repurposed bench materials - dedicated sharpening bench

Repurposed bench materials - dedicated sharpening bench

Had two large pieces of the old work bench shelves that I salvaged from my shop tear out last weekend. I'm wanting a dedicated bench to put my sharpening tools/supplies on and another to setup as my reloading bench.

I cut the tops about in half, one side 6" longer. Added new caps to the cut ends, then cut some 2x4's for legs and screwed them on. Also added a piece of plywood on top to firm up the top.

Here's the sharpening bench. I unboxed my old sharpening mandrel and am setting it up with a set of the 'scary sharp' wheel sets I bought a few years back. We'll see how it works, but I do like the leather wheel and buffing wheel setup for my carving tools.

Also plan to keep the honing stones, small belt sander, and drill doctor on it as well. Not pretty, but should do the job for now until I get things a little more organized. I do plan to replace these and re-use them for garden benches down the road, but will work for this for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101230_215535.jpg   IMG_20101230_222636.jpg   IMG_20101230_222827.jpg   IMG_20101230_223450.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

You've been busy the past few days

The shop is really taking shape.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

razor sharp wheels,, what are they and will they work for plane irons and chisels as well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It'll be nice to have that stuff setup for instant use!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    You've been busy the past few days

The shop is really taking shape.
    Coming along...hopefully after the first of the year I'll make some more significant progress...if the tax man is nice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    razor sharp wheels,, what are they and will they work for plane irons and chisels as well
    Basically they are almost MDF wheels, well more like heavy cardboard, not as hard as mdf. The wheel without slots has a sanding grit that can be reloaded on to it and the one with slots that you load a rouge on.

I've only used it once to sharpen a pocket knife and it did a nice job...could shave with it.

I think one could sharpen most any flat blade with it. I'm planning to add a fence on the front of the table that I can put some angle blocks on for guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    It'll be nice to have that stuff setup for instant use!
    I was thinking so. Really need one more bench setup for stained glass. It might make me want to do it again. That is part of the problem...dragging it all out and getting it setup. I may need to use the second bench for that since I don't really have any empty casings to fill anyway.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Nice work. I'm working on designing something myself similar.