Repurposed bench materials - dedicated sharpening bench

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Had two large pieces of the old work bench shelves that I salvaged from my shop tear out last weekend. I'm wanting a dedicated bench to put my sharpening tools/supplies on and another to setup as my reloading bench.
attachment.php

I cut the tops about in half, one side 6" longer. Added new caps to the cut ends, then cut some 2x4's for legs and screwed them on. Also added a piece of plywood on top to firm up the top.
attachment.php

Here's the sharpening bench. I unboxed my old sharpening mandrel and am setting it up with a set of the 'scary sharp' wheel sets I bought a few years back. We'll see how it works, but I do like the leather wheel and buffing wheel setup for my carving tools.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Also plan to keep the honing stones, small belt sander, and drill doctor on it as well. Not pretty, but should do the job for now until I get things a little more organized. I do plan to replace these and re-use them for garden benches down the road, but will work for this for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20101230_215535.jpg
    IMG_20101230_215535.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20101230_222636.jpg
    IMG_20101230_222636.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20101230_222827.jpg
    IMG_20101230_222827.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20101230_223450.jpg
    IMG_20101230_223450.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 100
You've been busy the past few days :thumb::thumb:

The shop is really taking shape.

Coming along...hopefully after the first of the year I'll make some more significant progress...if the tax man is nice to me.

razor sharp wheels,, what are they and will they work for plane irons and chisels as well

Basically they are almost MDF wheels, well more like heavy cardboard, not as hard as mdf. The wheel without slots has a sanding grit that can be reloaded on to it and the one with slots that you load a rouge on.

I've only used it once to sharpen a pocket knife and it did a nice job...could shave with it.

I think one could sharpen most any flat blade with it. I'm planning to add a fence on the front of the table that I can put some angle blocks on for guides.

It'll be nice to have that stuff setup for instant use! :thumb:

I was thinking so. Really need one more bench setup for stained glass. It might make me want to do it again. That is part of the problem...dragging it all out and getting it setup. I may need to use the second bench for that since I don't really have any empty casings to fill anyway.