Turquoise Inlaying

Dave Dumas

I am not sure that this is the right forum but I want to inlay turquoise in some large checks in mesquite. What do you use to cover the turquoise? Where is a good place to buy small granules or particles of turquoise.
I am just guessing that some kind of epoxy is used. The places I have seen the finished product will not give me any info. Go figure.

Look at mineral and gem outlets. I found one in Phoenix by happenstance. Dribble thin CA glue as you fill. Lots of other minerals will work also.

And MUCH less expensive than the WW catalogs.

Look at mineral and gem outlets. I found one in Phoenix by happenstance. Dribble thin CA glue as you fill. Lots of other minerals will work also.

And MUCH less expensive than the WW catalogs.

Carol, I understand there is a tourquoise processing factory in Arizona that sells floor sweepings in 50 lb. sacks very cheap. Methinks a sack would last several lifetimes. Just mash up a few pieces now and then for projects.

I don't know about that, Frank. The place I found is one of the dirtiest places I have ever been in. But what a treasure trove! I have some turquoise in three different 'sizes.' Enough to last quite a while and for less than $20. :thumb:

Hi Dave! I've done a couple of inlays in bowls and lamps. This is by no means the last word...just what works for me. First, if you can find chunks of turquoise, take a 1 1/2" pipe cap and screw it on to an 1 1/2" pipe. Put your turquoise stone into a 2" pipe cap and grind that stuff up! Or...order it crushed from anyone of several suppliers...I use CSUSA. Also get a bag of matching powder or dust.
1) Cut a groove in the chosen piece...a 1/16 parting works well for me
2) If you are doing the outside or inside, prop the piece so that the groove is parallel to the work surface.
3) I use a 7mm pen tube ground to a scoop. Take a scoop full of crushed stone and tap it into the groove...depending on the size of the groove...work with 1/4" at a time.
4) Put a drop of thin CA on the stone and just a tap of accelerator from a foot away. You just want to set the CA, not cure it...it will turn white if you use to much accelerator.
5) Reposition the piece and repeat...trust me...it really does go quickly.
6) When done, re-mount the piece and pick your poison...scraper is good, I wouldn't use a skew, a gouge...and GENTLY turn off the excess inlay material.
7) You will have some voids in the inlay. Depending on the size of the void, use more crushed stone, or now use the powder for small voids using the same technique as above.
8) Repeat 5-6. Sand and finish with whatever you like
Remember that stuff like Turquoise is usually harder than your tool steel so sharp is a must!!
Hope that is as clear as mud! I'll be happy to try to answer any questions, but I don't know to many variations of this method other what works for me:eek: