Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plate groove

Question Plate groove

Drawing on the combined intelligence of the group...

I'm putting the finishing touches on my dining room wainscoting, a plate shelf. As for the plate grove, how far from the back? How deep? How wide?

One source says 1/4" deep and 3" from the back. Seems about right, but they don't mention how wide. Would that also be 1/4"?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 12-31-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    Soon to have a web presence! www.reynoldswoodcraft.com (under construction - a long way from done)

Rennie I am doing mine 2 1/4" from the wall, 3/16" deep using a 3/8" Cove bit

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Drawing on the combined intelligence of the group...

I'm putting the finishing touches on my dining room wainscoting, a plate shelf. As for the plate grove, how far from the back? How deep? How wide?

One source says 1/4" deep and 3" from the back. Seems about right, but they don't mention how wide. Would that also be 1/4"?
    rennie, I just measured some that my dad did and they were 1/4" wide but they were only 1" from the back...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Perch a plate and measure.

Having said that, some plates are deeper than others and that would play into it. Might take a look at what you plan to put up there.

If it were me, I'd use a core box bit with a router and edge guide. I would think 1/4" deep would be about right. As far as where it should be located relative to the wall would depend on the size of the plate wouldn't it? The larger the plate, the greater the distance I would think...

Check the plates. You could even put two or more grooves if you had both deep and shallow plates.

Bob

Router with core box bit sounds right. Funny thing. It's one of the few basic bits I do not own. ROAD TRIP! Woodcraft here I came.

As for the size of plates, who knows. These things are not static displays. They change with tastes and seasons. I think I'll just pick a good median (like Tom's 2 1/4") and call it good. Seems like the consensus on depth is 1/4".
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    Soon to have a web presence! www.reynoldswoodcraft.com (under construction - a long way from done)

Others beat me to it. Do what works for you.
    There are plates and then there are plates. Distance from back can be varied to accommodate different plates. If the shelf is custom for a specific purpose the height at which it will be mounted can affect your decision as well. If the groove is too far from the back the plate will be angled up and won't show well if the shelf is hung very high.
    The groove isn't critical. Reach in your box and grab a bit you think will work OK.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Just got to thinking and went and measured the grooves on my hutch. There are 2 groves for plates on it, the 1st groove is 1 1/2" from the back and the 2nd groove is at 2 1/4". I think on my plate rail I will do the dual grooves to be able to handle large, small, shallow and deep plates Sure am looking forward to PICS of your project Rennie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Just got to thinking and went and measured the grooves on my hutch. There are 2 groves for plates on it, the 1st groove is 1 1/2" from the back and the 2nd groove is at 2 1/4". I think on my plate rail I will do the dual grooves to be able to handle large, small, shallow and deep plates Sure am looking forward to PICS of your project Rennie
    Two?

Groovy.