Plate groove

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Drawing on the combined intelligence of the group...

I'm putting the finishing touches on my dining room wainscoting, a plate shelf. As for the plate grove, how far from the back? How deep? How wide?:huh:

One source says 1/4" deep and 3" from the back. Seems about right, but they don't mention how wide. Would that also be 1/4"?:dunno:

Last edited:
Drawing on the combined intelligence of the group...

I'm putting the finishing touches on my dining room wainscoting, a plate shelf. As for the plate grove, how far from the back? How deep? How wide?:huh:

One source says 1/4" deep and 3" from the back. Seems about right, but they don't mention how wide. Would that also be 1/4"?:dunno:

rennie, I just measured some that my dad did and they were 1/4" wide but they were only 1" from the back...:huh::dunno:

Perch a plate and measure. :doh: :D

Having said that, some plates are deeper than others and that would play into it. Might take a look at what you plan to put up there.

If it were me, I'd use a core box bit with a router and edge guide. I would think 1/4" deep would be about right. As far as where it should be located relative to the wall would depend on the size of the plate wouldn't it? The larger the plate, the greater the distance I would think...

Router with core box bit sounds right. Funny thing. It's one of the few basic bits I do not own. ROAD TRIP! Woodcraft here I came.

As for the size of plates, who knows. :dunno: These things are not static displays. They change with tastes and seasons. I think I'll just pick a good median (like Tom's 2 1/4") and call it good. Seems like the consensus on depth is 1/4".

Others beat me to it. Do what works for you.
There are plates and then there are plates. Distance from back can be varied to accommodate different plates. If the shelf is custom for a specific purpose the height at which it will be mounted can affect your decision as well. If the groove is too far from the back the plate will be angled up and won't show well if the shelf is hung very high.
The groove isn't critical. Reach in your box and grab a bit you think will work OK.

Just got to thinking and went and measured the grooves on my hutch. There are 2 groves for plates on it, the 1st groove is 1 1/2" from the back and the 2nd groove is at 2 1/4". I think on my plate rail I will do the dual grooves to be able to handle large, small, shallow and deep plates:) Sure am looking forward to PICS of your project Rennie:):thumb:

Just got to thinking and went and measured the grooves on my hutch. There are 2 groves for plates on it, the 1st groove is 1 1/2" from the back and the 2nd groove is at 2 1/4". I think on my plate rail I will do the dual grooves to be able to handle large, small, shallow and deep plates:) Sure am looking forward to PICS of your project Rennie:):thumb:
Two?

Groovy.

Tom i think you got it correct. Think about the math. A small plate if put in the same groove an equal distance from the wall would lean back more than the big one. That would look not so ok. Now if it had a groove close to the wall than the large plate at least the angle of the small next to the large would be more or less the same and they would both face the viewer better. So i would vote for two grooves and consider that some of the large plates have a thicker base and would probably end up resting with the ring around the bottom touching the wall first when propped up.

Rennie when in doubt cut a test strip in some ply, put it up against the wall on say a kitchen top and try a few of the plates you both have. You can pick a large and small and play with it.

In our house we have always hung our plates. So i used those plate hanger things that hook on the plate at 4 points. Not the nicest but its how we have always done it.

Hope you post a picture of the finished rail with a plate or two on for us to see. BTW you mention using the word wainscoating, I always thought that was only waist high. Surely the plates would go say 7ft up on the wall or do i have it wrong for NA.

I am with Frank on not needing a special bit.;)

Rennie here is what I came up with. Mine are 3" wide with 2 grooves as I mentioned earlier. With making the grooves I also profiled them by sanding the back side edge so when looking straight on them there isn't such a hard edge and will allow a wide edge plate fit also. How are yours coming along?:wave:

Attachments

• Plate Rail 1.jpg
    Plate Rail 1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 37
  • Plate Rail 2.jpg
    Plate Rail 2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Plate Rail Profile.jpg
    Plate Rail Profile.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 34
Rennie here is what I came up with. Mine are 3" wide with 2 grooves as I mentioned earlier. With making the grooves I also profiled them by sanding the back side edge so when looking straight on them there isn't such a hard edge and will allow a wide edge plate fit also. How are yours coming along?:wave:

Mine aren't as pretty.:(

I went with a 3/16" cove bit, 1/4" deep grove. I also like your idea of two grooves.:thumb:
DSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

BTW you mention using the word wainscoating, I always thought that was only waist high. Surely the plates would go say 7ft up on the wall or do i have it wrong for NA.
I looked it up!:D

Wainscot or wainscoting (pronounced UK: /ˈweɪnskət/, US: /ˈweɪnskɒt/, US dict: wān′·skət, wān′·skŏt) is a paneling style applied to the lower 90 to 150 cm (3 to 5 ft) of an interior wall, below the dado rail or chair rail and above the baseboard or skirting board. It is traditionally constructed from tongue-and-groove boards, though beadboard or decorative panels (such as a wooden door might have) are also common. New manufacturing techniques are capable of milling large panels from one sheet which reduce seams, caulking and expansion/contraction cracks which have plagued traditional construction. Wainscoting may also refer to other materials used in a similar fashion.

That really is coming along nicely. :drool:

May have to show my wife to see if she'd go for that down in the family room when it's time to do flooring down there. I've already got a ledge on one wall as the basement wall is a half wall in that area.

:lurk:

Plate rails, huh? You know how I know you guys don't live in earthquake country? :D

Looking good, both of youse guys.