Thread: Tenon problem ??

Tenon problem ??

Today I made another vase like turning and when I reversed it to work on it the tenon broke off. I am going to let it dry for a couple weeks and then ill need to figure out a way to remount it in order to sand the inside and outside. The problem is I made the wall on the foot area (outside bottom)very thin and I do not think it it will hold in expansion mode tightly (loosely yes but it would break it tighten up).

So, my thought was is to make a small 2x2 square block and glue it to the bottom - then sand and part off the glue block when im done.
    Anybody have another solution ?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tennon-1.jpg   Tennon-2.jpg   Tenon-3.jpg   Tenon-4.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 01-02-2011 at 03:11 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    you will have a real problem getting the block centered and the piece will wobble very badly. I'd just sand it off pf the lathe and call it good.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I agree with Don especially if the wood is green. By the time you get your block ready it is already going to be out of round. I have never had any luck doing that. Myself I just toss'em because to me life is to short to turn bad or broken wood. You could let it dry, sand it and finish it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Don't chuck on soft, spunky, sap or green wood. Doing so can result in flying objects.
    DAMHIK.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

There's no need to have the glue block perfectly centered as long as you mount the piece reversed and turn the glue block round before chucking it. That said, if the bottom or walls are thin, there's still the risk of breaking it when parting it off. I'd probably just try to sand it off the lathe and call it good.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks to all and I will post the final outcome in a couple weeks - and tell how I decided to do it....................Dan
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................