Thread: Hollowing questions

Richmond, MI near Port Huron

Hollowing questions

Hi there
    Almost finished my deep hollowing rig so I tried a piece. Just couldn't wait.
    I turned a vase just over 10 inches deep and about 5/16 thick thats about as I planned for my first.
    I have 2 questions 1. On green end grain hollowing should I turn to finished shape and thickness and be done or do I turn it like a green bowl and twice turn it? 2. How can I best prevent the bottom from cracking because the pith is still there?

I'm not very qualified to offer help on this since I'm learning myself, but I've been told turning to a consistant thin thickness, like 1/4" is key to success. That and soaking the pith with thin CA. Good luck.

Goodland, Kansas
    I always turn my hollow forms to final thickness of no more than a 1/4". Most times it is less. I soak the pith with thin CA. As soon as I turn it around and finish the bottom I give it a soak inside and out with Minwax Antique Oil. I pour the AO inside and move it around till there are no dry spots. I paint the outside with a foam brush keeping it wet for at least 10 minutes. I wipe off the excess and let it dry for 24 hrs then do it again generally for 3 to 4 coats. I then buff it. I know of a few that leave it at 10% thickness and soak in DNA for a few days then let it dry. I think for me the key is turn it thin and get the finish on as soon as it comes off the lathe. Another key is to use a laser or measure a lot when you start getting to the final thickness.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ABQ NM
    On wet wood I usually turn twice like a green bowl, but most of my hollow forms are not turned end grain. I'd think twice- turned should work for end grain, but I'd expect to see some cracking if the pith is still in the blank.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan