Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-book Readers

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

E-book Readers

Anyone out there know a lot about these?

LOML wants to get me one. I've been reading the reviews, but there are still a few things I don't understand: if you buy the Kindle or the Nook can you convert other formats into "their" proprietary format? If you buy the Kindle does that mean you can only download from Amazon? And the Nook only from Barnes and Noble?

Thanks,
    Cynthia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Cynthia,

There's a program out there called Calibre, that does conversions. I've been using it a couple weeks to convert things for my Kindle. Works fine so far...

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Thanks,

Bill

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    So Bill, you install Calibre on the e-book reader? or on your laptop and then move the converted files to the e-book reader? Why did you pick the Kindle vs. the Nook or the Sony?

Thanks,
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Cynthia my experience with these things extend only to the Apple Ipad. When a friend of mine showed me it with a book on it became a worthwhile tool. Seems to me the Ipad is more versatile than a dedicated reader but i have not had a kindle in front of me to see its features and compare.

What is great is the ability to be able to look up words instantly by highlighting them and bookmarking or searching.

I have always been a fan of the printed word but after seeing the I pad i am converted. I still like a book for the feely touch side but there is no getting away from the benefits of the ebook especially the additional features.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    So Bill, you install Calibre on the e-book reader? or on your laptop and then move the converted files to the e-book reader? Why did you pick the Kindle vs. the Nook or the Sony?
    Cynthia,

Kindle's the market leader, which means it's going to be around. I'm sure the others are fine as well...

If I had the money, I'd get an I-pad. Sadly, that's out of reach.

The software goes on my PC (I can't afford a laptop!). Works fine.

As a long time book guy, I can appreciate Rob's feelings about holding a book in one's hands. On the other hand, before the kindle, I never actually read 'the decline and fall of the roman empire.' Why not? It was just physically too big to hold. But on the kindle, it's as light weight as, say, Hilaire Belloc!

Not only that, but I don't read much modern stuff. All the classics, and I mean ALL of them, are available for free. Seriously. For free!

Thanks,

Bill

The new Kindle's are smaller and easier to read.
    I love books but am convinced e-readers are the future.
    I plan to publish two of my novels on Kindle and set up with their print on demand aka POD service as well.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've got the Kobo, from Borders, and I like it a lot. Easy to read screen, even in bright sunlight.

It uses E-Pub and Adobe formats, which are compatible with what my local library uses. Note that most libraries cannot 'loan' books to a Kimble, due to Amazon's proprietary format.

I looked at Sony, Nook and a couple others before settling on the Kobo.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Kindel

Wife reads like crazy. She got a Kindle for Christmas and has not put it down.

Also so far she has NOT purchased any books. She is very happy with all the free books available.

Also amazed at the wireless cabilities. She clicks on the book on our computer and just about as fast as you can look over at the Kindle it is there.

She really likes the small size and low weight and has said she is glad we did not get the $300++ larger model.

She has the $130 WiFi model and is very happy with it.

"Also so far she has NOT purchased any books. She is very happy with all the free books available."

Not good news for those of us who try to make a few dollars selling what we write.

Actually, I understand. I like 'free' stuff myself.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I will add my own question, what do you think about these for DIY or How-To books? I have been looking at it from this perspective since I am writing one. It doesn't strike me as a good fit since I wouldn't want to take my reader to the shop. But.....
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits