Thread: moisture meter

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines

moisture meter

I am looking to get a moisture meter and I really don't much about the 2 types. I guess That I don't really need a fancy unit, just something that works. I would like to know what you guys are using and if it is pin type or pinless.

Central NY State
    I have one of these, and it seems fine. There are fancier pinless ones, but at the price point this one was, it seemed like a good purchase.,43513,45788

Tacoma, WA

Pinless is painless...

I have the pin-less type, a wagner mmc 220. I like it's accuracy and its range. I can check the moisture content right through a finish (even plastic) with out leaving a mark. Also it checks a larger area and deeper than most pin type. The only down side is the price. There are less expensive meters by wagner, just look on-line. I've used this for flooring, for picking out boards at the lumber yard etc. Just remember to adjust for species specific gravity. (must be done with both pin and pin-less type of meters). You should receive an instruction book with the meters that will give you that information.

“When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I use a pin type.
    I'm a home inspector, so I have some pretty high end moisture meters, one of which is both a pin type and pinless.
    I really don't think a pinless type is the best one to check for moisture in boards.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    welcome Jack

Jeff Horton is in the same line of work as you.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Rittman Ohio
    My brother bought me one from Harbor Tool and Frieght.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    I don't know from nothing about the moisture meters, but suspect I could use one... I just saw a couple in the PSI catalog that were reasonably priced... both were under $50 if I remember correctly..
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.