moisture meter

Pinless is painless...

I have the pin-less type, a wagner mmc 220. I like it's accuracy and its range. I can check the moisture content right through a finish (even plastic) with out leaving a mark. Also it checks a larger area and deeper than most pin type. The only down side is the price. There are less expensive meters by wagner, just look on-line. I've used this for flooring, for picking out boards at the lumber yard etc. Just remember to adjust for species specific gravity. (must be done with both pin and pin-less type of meters). You should receive an instruction book with the meters that will give you that information.:)

I use a pin type.
I'm a home inspector, so I have some pretty high end moisture meters, one of which is both a pin type and pinless.
I really don't think a pinless type is the best one to check for moisture in boards.

I don't know from nothing about the moisture meters, but suspect I could use one... I just saw a couple in the PSI catalog that were reasonably priced... both were under $50 if I remember correctly..