Steel shed vs wood shed

allen levine

Im leaning towards replacing my 6x6 barn style shed later this year with a 10x10 shed. Village codes allows me this size, and I could use the room to free up space in my garage/shop by storing lumber in the new shed.
Any real problems with purchasing a steel building?(Man Products)

I do not want to build a shed. I know I can build one, but materials will not be cheap, and I dont want the backbreaking job of assembling a shed at this point.

I like the idea of a truck coming with it, and someone else assembling it the same day.
I have a Man Products cellar door and Im very pleased with both the product and the company.

Sorry never heard of Man Products. The only thing I can think of would be a metal might have a condensation issue when the weather changes. Could get some sweet drop from the roof. If that were to happen, plastic is cheap and would cover anything that needed protected. I say go for it.

i agree on the condensation problem allen,, but yu can get condensation in a wood shed as well.. just not as bad. so what ever yu put out there cover it up if yu dont want water stains or rust.

I personally would go with the metal shed. The only time I ever had condensation issues was when I would try to heat it with it being uninsulated.

Allen,
My shop is one of those pre-fab metal buildings... it's 12 x 24 with a nice wood floor, 2x4 stud walls and corregated metal siding and gabledf roof... I have not had any problem with the condensation in my shop... I also have a pre-fab carport with a storage area at the back... it's a quasi quonset style building... a rounded roof over the carport and storage... I do get some condensation in there... that may be because of the floor of the carport is just gravel and the storage area has a raised floor, but I added that and didn't barrier protect the ground under neath...
biggest problem I have with the shop, it's under a big oak tree and when the acorns start to fall it sometimes sounds like a hail storm...

Al, Does the shed have to be a permanent structure like a post and beam, or does it just sit on the ground? If there is no code......I suspect there is given your location, you can build one on the cheap. I have built perfectly functional structures using landscape 4x4's vs 4x4 regular treated lumber. Personally i would think about a treated lumber shed with a steel roof. I regularly cruise by the big box stores and check out there bargain bins. I recently found some copper colored roof tin at one and though I didn't buy it it was a great price and I was trying to justify getting it for some small building. If I have a project in mind I start looking for bargain material ahead of time. I just built a 12x 32' lean-too on the back of my barn for around $750. The posts were from some cedar telephone poles I got for free courtesy of a tornado that came through the neighborhood a few years ago. These poles were 20-24" diameter and they have been resawed into several projects for myself and some friends.

Agree, pre-made sheds can be bought for about same price as materials. One of those things that is not always cost effective to do yourself.
Go for wood. Metal has all the defects mentioned and condensation is one of the worst. They dent and look aged very quickly.
You can paint wood to match house, install shelves, etc. much easier than metal.
Ever been in a metal shed during a heavy rainstorm or hail storm? You'll think the world is ending. :eek: