Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Table - In Progress

Los Angeles, CA

Coffee Table - In Progress

Now that I have a garage, I no longer need to keep this in the storage. It has been in the storage for the last 3 years. This is a cherry coffee table that I was working on as a class project at a local community college. I am sure Mike Henderson would recognize the design of this table. This is the standard design that about 80% of the student make in that class. Students are allowed to come up with their own design but most students are flatwork newbies and don't feel comfortable enought to do that. So they build the table from the design provided by the instructor. The main idea is to learn the technique and be comfortable with using various machines.

The top is not attached to the bottom and the drawer is not finished yet. I also have to make the plugs. My goal is to finish this by mid-year. I think I need someone like Ben to push me.

This will prove (You hear that Larry) that the vortex is strong, yet not strong enough to keep me from the flatland.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Very Nice Mohammad, Can't wait to see the end result.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Very Nice Mohammad, Can't wait to see the end result.
    Same here!
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Plainwell, Michigan
    That will be a great coffee table Mohammad and it is great that you now have a place to work on your woodworking again So have at it and GET BUSY in there as we all are anxious to follow your progress

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Looks real good so far.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Delton, Michigan
    good for yu didnt realize yu had any interest in flat work.. and i see yur camera works well,, so lets see those turnings.. the top was grain matched very well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys.

Larry, Besides turning, I have interest in flat work, carving, woodburning, sculpting and drawing. I haven't tackled all of the above yet and I am not good at any of the ones that I have tried.

GTA Ontario Canada
    That table looks great Mohammad. Good to see you a all round woodworker.

You sure must be enjoying now having a place to bring these items out and finish them off. Looking forward to seeing more. Heard lots of good stuff about your turning.

This will prove (You hear that Larry) that the vortex is strong, yet not strong enough to keep me from the flatland.[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask about that Mohamad, specially after having seen the quality of your spinny work, but... we'll see
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

new york city burbs
    welcome to the wonderful world of flatwork/furniture building.

I like the color of your cherry more than my cherry. Maybe my cherry hasnt popped yet.

now ya gonna look at that pretty coffee table every day and start thinking, hmmmmm....maybe an entertainment unit to match.........hmmmmmm........a new dining table and chairs, maybe a server, hmmmmmmm........maybe a sofa table, hmmmmmm.......
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-04-2011 at 10:01 PM.