Is this a good lathe to buy ?

KENNY DYAL

Hi ,My name is Kenny. This is my first post on this forum. I hope i get it right . i am new to woodturning and I am about to purchase my first lathe from someone on Kijiji (picture attached). I was told it can do up to 45" in length and i think it has a 1HP motor . Can i get some opinions on it , please ? Do you think it would be good for a beginner ?Thanks .

Attachments

• 5282f41_20.jpeg
    5282f41_20.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 84
The guy was asking 250 but i offer 200 and he said ok. It also comes with all the tools in the second picture .

Attachments

• 3918dd5_20.jpeg
    3918dd5_20.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 66
Before yo buy it make sure it runs. With it running look at the drive end to see if there is any wobble. Also with it turned off bring the tail right up to the drive center to check that they line up.:thumb:
It's hard to tell from the pics but the tool rest seems to be missing a piece. Make sure that it has all the parts to bolt it to the rails.
If the drive wobbles or the head and tail don't line up put your cash away and walk.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Kenny!

Did he provide a brand name for it?

What kind of Morse Taper does the headstock have?

Hi Kenny,

I am a little further along in lathe land than you are---however, not much further. I just sold a Delta 42inch, turn 14 1/2 in diameter lathe. It looks new. It works great. I sold it for $200.

It had a cast iron bed which dampens vibration. With a spur drive in the headstock and a "pointy" (cone center) part in the tail stock the two points touch each other when the tail stock is moved up to the headstock. It runs smooth as glass.

It has an adapter that permits two different threaded accessories to be used.

From your picture I cannot tell what the chucks are nor can I tell the condition so I am no help there.

I will make a guess that you could have a better set of turning tools for Eighty dollars at Harbor Freight.

Allow NO vibration if the lathe is running without a piece of wood in it.

Listen to the experts. I wish you the best.

Welcome to the family,

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
That looks like a very light duty, inexpensive, machine.
But if it checks out as others have advised and all the tools shown come with it, you might have a decent starter lathe for $200.00.
I would be hesitant to go above that.
BTW, where are you? Are we talking U.S. dollars, Canadian or something else? I was speaking in U.S. dollars.
Welcome to the Family.
Let us know what you decide.

Kenny after seeing that Woodcraft have a deal coming up on Rikon for 15% off on the 8 January I would see if i could stretch a further $100 and get this baby
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005508/16400/RIKON-Mini-Lathe.aspx?refcode=11IN01NL

Its up for $349 now but will be around $297 on the 8th.

This way you will have something that you know what you getting and get a decent unit. Warranty and all.

Sure you wont have tools and the extras shown there but if you very new at this evaluating that machine without experience even with the advise could lead you into a pit where no help would be available.

I now tend to agree with Mike Furness about finding something better for the money.

There are others take a look here for even less

also dont forget Grizzly and these units there are a bunch of manufacturers that make these look for a decent motor.

Last edited:
Kenny after seeing that Woodcraft have a deal coming up on Rikon for 15% off on the 8 January I would see if i could stretch a further $100 and get this baby
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005508/16400/RIKON-Mini-Lathe.aspx?refcode=11IN01NL

Its up for $349 now but will be around $297 on the 8th.

This way you will have something that you know what you getting and get a decent unit. Warranty and all.

Sure you wont have tools and the extras shown there but if you very new at this evaluating that machine without experience even with the advise could lead you into a pit where no help would be available.

I now tend to agree with Mike Furness about finding something better for the money. My suggestion is just one.

For the record i have nothing to do with Woodcraft just happened to get their flyer at the same time as your inquiry.

I have had that lathe for a number of years now and it is a great machine.

If you want to spin spindles, that is a decent starter lathe, but for $100, not $200, IMHO.

The chuck in the tub, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is a three jaw chuck, not a four jaw chuck, these were originally used for metal working, NOT woodworking and were never very good.

I would look further for a used lathe, or do as Rob suggests and buy the Rikon, I think it is an excellent lathe that would do 90% of everything you could ever want it to do, if you get to the point of needing that extra 10% then the Rikon will work very well as a second lathe, which, it is really nice to have sometimes, DAMHIKT! :D

If you have already bought it, don't worry, it will certainly get you started and you will have fun on it, now you have to learn to sharpen them tools!

Welcome to the Family :wave:

Hello ,everyone . i am very impressed by the response from all of you guys. Thank you all very much. I am really grateful .I do agree with all of you guys and will stay away from this lathe as advised.

Don

I do like the lathe from Woodcraft and would definitely buy it but i am in Canada and i dont know if they ship here because I think they only have location in the US .

I have bee looking at the two other lathes in the links below . Both owners are looking for 250 C'dian for it. The Rockwell seems to have a good track record but i am unsure about the Craftex . Any suggestions on it ?

Again , thank you all very much. I am sure you will be seeing me a lot on this forum .

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ251729492

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Craftex-Wood-Lathe-W0QQAdIdZ251487199

Kenny

Kenny, what kind of turning do you want to do?

That Craftex is a decent spindle lathe, but not much for bowls and such.

the link to the Rockwell lathe doe not work :huh:

If you meant this one.....

>> Rockwell 36" Model 3400 <<

..... then I'd say it looks fairly good.

The advert reads.....

36" from centre to centre and can take a 10" turning. It has a 1/4 hp motor. It comes with the stand and motor. Variable speed, it comes with a live centre, spur and a collar for a oneway chuck. Its ready to be plugged in and used, all you need are the tools. Make me an offer.

I'm fairly sure by "Variable Speed" he means that you can vary the speed by changing the belts.

Looking at the picture......

2295k34_20.jpeg
..... and reading this bit....

"a live centre, spur and a collar for a oneway chuck"

I'm not sure what he means by "a collar for a oneway chuck" maybe he is confusing the small face plate with a collar...?

He says "Make me an offer" if it is close by, I'd go and see it, make sure it all works, and offer him $200 cash, see if he goes for it :dunno:

I think it is a decent starter lathe, and for that kind of money would be enough to whet your appetite.

Cheers!

Kenny i agree with Stu. Sorry we did not know you were in Canada how about updating your profile and at least puting your town in it.

BTW stay away from Craftex. I should know i have one even a model up from that one shown. Junk is the only word i have for it.:rofl:

Buyer beware.

The Rockwell is a solid lathe, but it looks like it does not have a hollow spindle with a Morse taper inside. If so, the choices for accessories will be quite limited compared to a lathe with a Morse taper. At 1/4 hp, you may also find it's a bit underpowered. (Although some of the older motors are stronger than their modern counterparts...an old 1/4 hp motor may perform more like a 1/2 hp or so modern model.)