This was getting buried in an unrelated thread. So I've pulled in out to get further clarification.
I do not currently subscribe to cable TV. Too expensive for what is offered. Antennas are totally useless here in the mountains.
I am envisioning a flat screen mounted on the wall in front of my lounger, fed by a computer that is on-line. Here on the questions:
1. What are the minimum necessary specifications for the flat-screen? Inputs and outputs? Cabling?
2. What is the minimum download speed to watch without pauses? And how to you check your download speed? I have cable now but the service is really lousy. DSL has become available and I am willing to change if that would be better.
3. What specific computer specifications are needed?
4. What about sound? Currently, I have no sound system at all. I would subscribe to Pandora if I had any kind of a sound system besides the computer speakers. I would like to 'pipe' the sound downstairs and outside to wherever I am working.
5. Where does one get 'content' to watch? I am mostly interested in serial shows and movies. Occasionally, news. Local news is not important, because it is not local to me anyway.
6. What are the costs with regard to content?
You can readily see that I am in over my head here. I do not and cannot spend big bucks here, I am not an audiophile so I am happy with whatever works. So much the better if I can scrounge thrift stores for elements of this build.
I appreciate your help. I am going to open a file and log your answers and suggestions by question number so I can ferret out a plan of action.