watching TV on-line

I think it is very obvious the the future of viewing is "on demand". Of course the incentive to making all of this work will be someone being able to make money from it. It looks like I would be willing to pay the moderate cost of Hulu Plus in order to get more of a selection. From this thread, I have watched old "Barney Miller" episodes on the free Hulu that are way better than most things on today. I want more!

I am curious how the cable companies like Comcast (through which I get my television and internet) are going to stop the competition like Hulu. Will they try and prevent content providers like Hulu from using their internet connection into the homes? You have to understand that almost all cities made monopoly deals with the cable companies in order to get service though out the city. The infrastructure to provide this service cost money (stringing cable) and few cities were big enough that more than one company will be willing to take the risk and spend money stringing cable without some guaranty (monoply).

Anybody got an idea?

A bigger issue as I see it is how all this on-demand content at HD quaility will affect the bandwidth of the internet. It's nice for now, but once everybody starts using it the pipes fill up pretty fast...

A bigger issue as I see it is how all this on-demand content at HD quaility will affect the bandwidth of the internet. It's nice for now, but once everybody starts using it the pipes fill up pretty fast...

I guess you build bigger pipes. How much dark fiber is there out there now?
The last mile will most likely all ways be the biggest issue..

I have heard the run out of bandwidth every since slip connections..not that it isn't a real issue but it basically has no limits. It can be added at will unlike RF bandwidth which really is a limited resource on any particular band of frequencies.

I suspect some sort of semi local caching may be required. I also suspect the greed will be the biggest issue. If the copy right ever ran out on Mickey Mouse then everyone could store locally. But as copyright gets extended to wards infinity then every thing has to be served over and over again.

GArry

Well the speed test link at the top told me something about my computer. LOML talked to charter and got a 25.00/month reduction in fees to retain us. (they don't know we really have no where else to go!!!:rolleyes:) Asked if we were happy with our 16 MB download speed. I told LOML it was doable, but I didn't think we were getting 16 MB. The test proved it...we are not. I'm getting about 3 MB, while LOML is getting close to 30!!! That just showed how old and slow my old P3 600 computer is. LOML is running a first generation dual core, don't remember the speed. Time to upgrade...just takes money. Computer, or wood for the shop??? I can always use her computer when I need to watch a video. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Jim.