New Turnings

Ben Werner

Besides the wedding goblet I made a couple other things in the past few days... but don't want to put up a bunch of threads so here they are:

As always, comments and critique wanted!! :thumb:

Cherry Bowl: 13 1/2 by 4 3/4. Right now its just mineral oil... might do something over the top of that eventually.

Maple NE Bowl. 6 1/4 at the wingtips by 3. Mineral oil, will buff eventually (maybe).

Maple Box. 3 1/8 tall by 2 5/8. Mineral oil, shellac, buffed.

Maple Box. 4 3/8 tall by 2 3/8 mineral oil, buffed. There is a fair bit more curl than the pictures show...

and of course... TOPS!
maple, ash. (the maple ones have mineral oil on them for the most part, ash is bare)

can you tell I like making spirals?!?! :D

Last edited:
Great work :thumb::thumb:

I notice a couple of crack lines in the Cherry... my cherry does that too. How do you stabilize the cracks... I just use several coats of CA in them and then turn smooth... looks great. :thumb:

I've tried to do natural edge turning, but haven't had much luck keeping the bark on... tried CA, thin and medium, still seems to pop off. ... love the finish.

On the boxes, are they threaded... can't tell in the photos. I tried to do some threaded boxes a couple of years back when I bid on some boxes for a company in NY that was looking for a perfume display... finally got them to work okay, but not totally happy with my final results... my lathe won't go slow enough to really successfully chase threads, plus I think my threads were a little too fine... probably a coarser thread would have worked better... you did a great job on the top though... I had to look a third time to see the joint. :thumb::thumb:

Cool texture work Ben, definitely not something you see everyday! Cherry bowl is my favorite...just something about the warmth of cherry that really sets it apart. Well done on all sir!

I really like the texture on the pieces. I am going to have to make some tops. I just got a Robert Sorby small spiral and texturing tool but there is a learning curve. Need to practice.

I really like the texture on the pieces. I am going to have to make some tops. I just got a Robert Sorby small spiral and texturing tool but there is a learning curve. Need to practice.

Thanks, though I dont actually have a Sorby texture tool. I have two different tools, both of which my dad picked up for me at garage sales, and they work great. Maybe he can snap a picture of them for ya'll to see. But one has finer and more teeth, while the other has fewer larger teeth. Both work great but do different things.

Ben's tools

Ben asked me to post these pictures. I found the thicker one at an estate sale. I don't know what its original purpose was, but when I saw it, I thought Ben could use it for this.

The dog hole is 3/4".

Attachments

• sides.jpg
    sides.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ends.jpg
    ends.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11