Thread: Proper Drawer Pull Hardware Placemnt

Question Proper Drawer Pull Hardware Placemnt

I am now finishing off the drawer facings for 26 drawers. I have 3 drawers per cabinet.

Top Drawer Face

6" high X width of the drawer

Second Drawer Face

11" high X width of the drawer

Third Drawer Face

11" high X width of the drawer

I plan on putting the 6" wide drawer pulls in the center of each drawer face left and right.

Where my dilema comes in how high to place each one on the drawer face the 6" one seems simple. Right in the fiddle top to bottom. But the 11" ones have got me mystified.

An old carpenter friend told me that they pulls should not be placed in the center but slightly higher up as they will look off center as you look down on them. I know when he installed pulls for me years ago, that is the way he did it and they looked right.

I think I would like to have all 3 spaced equal distance up and down apart from each other regardless of the facings of the drawer. But would that be right?

I am perplexed....

I would put them dead center both way of each drawer front.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

thats what i did as well.. center.. because once yu step back and look at them yur gonna wonder why yu didnt have them in the center..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

depends on the kind of pull as well. if they have a bail, you'd want to place them a bit higher, to balance the entire pull, top to bottom.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I am a Sailboat guy, so you will have to forgive me, we are doing a Nautical Themed Kitchen (Galley) to the extent that we are doing the drawer pulls with cleats.

See the hardware http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststcl.html

Chrome wire pulls 6" were only a few cents cheaper at the big box store. So what the heck....

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I would center them all; the way around
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

It all depends on what you want. I recall a recent article in Fine Woodworking where the expert was suggesting an off center location. Aesthetics are something some worry about. I suppose it may have to do with the overall look you want and there is some relationship with the other parts of the structure like thickness of the top and size of the legs and so forth.

Whatever..........You might stick them on with a little piece of double sided tape and take a look. (I certainly hope the tape doesn't mess with the finish)
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Honestly, best way to do it is to mock it up. Make a couple different fake fronts with the pulls you want at different settings.

I center the top, narrow one and put the others the same distance fromt the top. That way I can use the same jig settings for all. Also makes it so the bottom handle is not so far down to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hemenway View Post
    I center the top, narrow one and put the others the same distance fromt the top. That way I can use the same jig settings for all. Also makes it so the bottom handle is not so far down to reach.
    Thanks John, That is kind of what I have been thinking all along.

Have a good day.....