Proper Drawer Pull Hardware Placemnt

Tom Hoffman

I am now finishing off the drawer facings for 26 drawers. I have 3 drawers per cabinet.

Top Drawer Face

6" high X width of the drawer

Second Drawer Face

11" high X width of the drawer

Third Drawer Face

11" high X width of the drawer

I plan on putting the 6" wide drawer pulls in the center of each drawer face left and right.

Where my dilema comes in how high to place each one on the drawer face the 6" one seems simple. Right in the fiddle top to bottom. But the 11" ones have got me mystified.

An old carpenter friend told me that they pulls should not be placed in the center but slightly higher up as they will look off center as you look down on them. I know when he installed pulls for me years ago, that is the way he did it and they looked right.

I think I would like to have all 3 spaced equal distance up and down apart from each other regardless of the facings of the drawer. But would that be right?

I am perplexed....:dunno::dunno:

It all depends on what you want. :D I recall a recent article in Fine Woodworking where the expert was suggesting an off center location. Aesthetics are something some worry about. I suppose it may have to do with the overall look you want and there is some relationship with the other parts of the structure like thickness of the top and size of the legs and so forth.

Whatever..........You might stick them on with a little piece of double sided tape and take a look. (I certainly hope the tape doesn't mess with the finish)

Honestly, best way to do it is to mock it up. Make a couple different fake fronts with the pulls you want at different settings.

I center the top, narrow one and put the others the same distance fromt the top. That way I can use the same jig settings for all. Also makes it so the bottom handle is not so far down to reach.

I center the top, narrow one and put the others the same distance fromt the top. That way I can use the same jig settings for all. Also makes it so the bottom handle is not so far down to reach.

Thanks John, That is kind of what I have been thinking all along.

Have a good day.....