Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the electric and dust connections on my Festool Tools stay attached

Making the electric and dust connections on my Festool Tools stay attached

I have owned my Festool random orbital Rotex sander (RO 150 E) for about two years and it has been used A LOT. It is much more efficient (and clean) when used in conjunction with a shop vac (in my case a Festool CT 22 E).
    I have had two ongoing design problems with this combination and both have been reported to Festool in hopes that they will correct things in future products. These problems are:
    (1) The electric cord pulls out of the receptacle in the vacuum far too easily.

(2) The vacuum hose pulls off the connection on the sander far too easily.
    The first problem probably stems from the fact that, in North America, our plugs have just got a couple of simple blades whereas in most places in the world the plugs are more substantial (and thus adhere better). I suspect that little ,if any, rigorous on the job testing was done with the north American receptacles in the Festool CT series of vacuums.

As to the second problem, the shape of the hose connection is different on the replacement model of my Rotex sander. The shape is now round. That will probably help some but it will not really solve the “pull off” problem, what is needed is some type of locking connection. By the way, I know that it won’t solve the problem because my Festool Linear Duplex sander (LS 130 EQ) has a round dust port and the hose sometimes pulls off it when I don’t want it to. It doesn’t pull off as often, but it does pull off when least convenient (e.g when I am up a ladder).

Of course, I need to use these things now, and can’t wait for some future fix. This picture shows how I fixed things.

Attachment 14

The short extension cord with three receptacles is duct-taped onto the receptacle in the vac, and the hose is clamped onto the sander port. It is not pretty but it works.

Hey Frank, did you steal my duct tape again?

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Pellow View Post
    Hey Frank, did you steal my duct tape again?
    I knew he had to be watched!!!

Richard

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt

Good old duct tape

To paraphrase Garrison Keilor "It keeps North America together until theres time to fix it."

Maybe Uncle Bob Marino will pass your pics along to the powers that be at Festool. That should shame them into fixing that flaw

What's a linear duplex sander? What applications would you use it for instead of the rotex?

Frank,
    You need the overhead "Boom". It takes care of all of those problems. Give Uncle Bob a call. As you know, he enjoys taking all of our money.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    To paraphrase Garrison Keilor "It keeps North America together until theres time to fix it."
    Actually, for some repairs, duct tape is the best permanent fix.

Maybe Uncle Bob Marino will pass your pics along to the powers that be at Festool. That should shame them into fixing that flaw
    I have already spoken to Christian Oltzscher, the president of Festool USA and he told me that he had forwarded my recommendations for these changes to Germany (along with about a dozen other recommendations). I have heard back from Festool Germany about some of my suggestions, but not about these ones.

What's a linear duplex sander? What applications would you use it for instead of the rotex?
    This sander has a rectangular 3 by 5 inch pad and operates in a straight linear back and forth motion. Thus, it is like hand sanding only faster. And it can get into tight places and near to edges. Also, the pad can be replaced with a lot of different profiles for jobs like sanding moldings. Festool describes it better than I can at: http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDet...&prodid=567777
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Buckley View Post
    Frank,
    You need the overhead "Boom". It takes care of all of those problems. Give Uncle Bob a call. As you know, he enjoys taking all of our money.

Brian
    Brian, that might solve the problems, but I already have something that works for me. I will keep the boom arm in mind for other reasons, but will not be buying it any time soon.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank your not supposed to hit the end of the cord & hose like a dog hitting the end of a leash....slow downman this is a hobby. I didn't see any fire hydrants or trees in your shop either.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Steve Clardy Guest
    I have some trouble keeping the fein vac hose on my 150 sander.
    I have velcro wraps holding the cord to the hose, keeping them together.
    Sure wish there was some kind of a twist lock or something.

[looking for my duct tape again]

jist a suggestion

some of the household vacs have a twist loc setup on them perhaps one of you engeneering types could rig it to work. hoover upright has one near the connection of motor and flex house.just a pin that goes in aslot then twist to hold in place.. lots of dead house vacs around to be salvaged from. just contack your local electro lux or rainbow salepeople they done got the names of there new customers
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!