Slat Wall Question

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking at the link Chris had posted about a DIY Slatwall system.

It looks interesting to me. Just wondering if anyone here has made anything like that to use in their shop or if you have a commercial slatwall.

I'd be very interested in any pics or comments you have about them.

Looks interesting - kind of a variation on a French cleat.

If you used a French cleat system, cut at a 45° angle, you could make it in one piece (both on the wall and the hung item) and save a step (and also some material).

I'm looking to do that system in my shop, but like Jim mentioned, using a french cleat instead.

I may incorporate a pin that can be pushed in below the lower cleat to keep the 'organizer' from coming off the cleat. Kinda like Glenn does on his cabinets

Looks interesting - kind of a variation on a French cleat.

If you used a French cleat system, cut at a 45° angle, you could make it in one piece (both on the wall and the hung item) and save a step (and also some material).

That's a great idea. I think the thing that I didn't like about the link was having to cut all the ply, glue it together, relieve the back of one side...

There'd be a lot of pieces to put together to make all of the custom holders, but that might be part of the appeal. Making little cabinets to hold sandpaper, etc. that could be pulled off, taken to the work and then put back...

This thread is why I feel like a total outsider both here and in the rest of the woodworking world.

If I wanted wall space to hang things, its either nails or FREE PEGBOARD.

There are router bits to make the slat wall slot without having to make separate pieces. My problem with the MDF slat wall material, and I have it in my shop, is that the MDF can come apart. I have seen aluminum channel that works with slat wall hangers that you then cut the wood to go between them. I think if money was no object, that is the way I'd go. But I do like being able to scoot a hanger bracket down just a tad so the next new object clears those around it. :thumb: Jim.

Some thing like that has now been put in the some day project for the shop:thumb::thumb:
Thanks Brent just what I needed another shop project.:thumb::doh::rofl::rofl:

I've been a proponent of the cleat system for awhile now. The system in the article is a bit over complicated IMHO as a french cleat does quite well. The pics are from 2008 - 2010 and the instant versatility has allowed me to re-arrange as required or desired many times.

Attachments

• cleat-wall.jpg
    cleat-wall.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 94
  • cleat-wall-042008-1.jpg
    cleat-wall-042008-1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 84
  • small scrap storage 003-sm.jpg
    small scrap storage 003-sm.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
That's a great idea. I think the thing that I didn't like about the link was having to cut all the ply, glue it together, relieve the back of one side...

There'd be a lot of pieces to put together to make all of the custom holders, but that might be part of the appeal. Making little cabinets to hold sandpaper, etc. that could be pulled off, taken to the work and then put back...

That's what I started to think as well - a bit overcomplicated. I'm doing a 5" crosscut then bisect with a 45 degree rip to keep things simple.

Some thing like that has now been put in the some day project for the shop:thumb::thumb:
Thanks Brent just what I needed another shop project.:thumb::doh::rofl::rofl:

Chris gave me the idea, so....

I've been a proponent of the cleat system for awhile now. The system in the article is a bit over complicated IMHO as a french cleat does quite well. The pics are from 2008 - 2010 and the instant versatility has allowed me to re-arrange as required or desired many times.

Looks great Glenn, Thanks for the pics!

That's what I started to think as well - a bit overcomplicated. I'm doing a 5" crosscut then bisect with a 45 degree rip to keep things simple.

I'm thinking the 45 degree cut is just what I need as well. Thanks for the idea Chris! Just wish I didn't have company this weekend, or else I'd get started now! :thumb:

There is some design consideration for load distribution. With the weight in the right realtional position to the cleat (like my pegboard panels) the cleats will hold fine. On the clamp racks, I use a pin under the cleat as a retainer to allow me to keep the fixture small ;-)