HF turned Vase

Well I went to run a errand a few days ago and came home to a box on the steps. It was from a friend of mine that I had met up in New York. She had sent me a oak burl. So a couple of days ago I put it on the lathe and starting slowing turning a HF. It was making a lot of creaking and cracking sounds so decided to go the saran wrap route. Worked pretty well but the top just imploded and the saran wrap did keep things from flying in all directions. So studied it for a bit and decided it was just to pretty so went the bowl route. My wife thinks it is just beautiful and so do I. It will go up on my mantle to be proudly displayed. It is 7 1/2" across and 4" high. Finished with one coat of AO to pop it and several light coats of lacquer.

Attachments

• Cathys Bowl 1.jpg
    Cathys Bowl 1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Cathys Bowl 2.jpg
    Cathys Bowl 2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Cathys Bowl 3.jpg
    Cathys Bowl 3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Cathys Bowl 4.jpg
    Cathys Bowl 4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Cathys Bowl 5.jpg
    Cathys Bowl 5.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 34
I must have been slept through the "saran" class as I don't ever remember reading anything about using it on a turning. Care to share Bernie? Or point me to somewhere to read up on it?

I really like the way this piece looks. To have a piece like that survive shows real talent as far as I'm concerned.......Nice job Bernie!

Tom

Real pretty wood, Bernie. The form doesn't really do much for me, but considering it was a save, I'm sure you did the best with what you had. :thumb: