Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Windsor chairs attempt

Central NY State

My Windsor chairs project - only took 6 years!

Well, after Ben, and more than a few of you gave me a little kick, or should I say motivation, I got started.

Here is the thread that shows the wood I began with:

So yesterday I split some pieces from the shortest log section, 26" long. This is a nearly veneer quality white oak log. The wood is just super, with very few defects, mostly just nice straight grain.

Next, mark my 1" x 1" billets, split them out with a froe:

From the rough billets, they will be shaped on the shaving horse using a draw knife, into 3/4" x 3/4" pieces, to be shaped later into spindles.

Here's the horse, which usually lives outside, brought into the shop and ready to work.

Before he left for school, Ben did a great job cleaning up the shop. Now I get to mess it up with shavings flying.

My intention is to make 3 chairs, to go with the one I made last February with Elia Bizzarri. This is a daunting undertaking for me, but we'll see how it all goes.
    Last edited by ken werner; 04-30-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Constantine, MI
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ken I am watching your progress with great interest... I remember after doing the Maloof workshop the angusigh I went through when I was going to do my first Maloof pliece...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

new york city burbs
    [QUOTE=ken werner;259980My intention is to make 3 chairs, to go with the one I made last February with Elia Bizzarri. This is a daunting undertaking for me, but we'll see how it all goes.[/QUOTE]

I read the poll and was going to say as a joke, why not make a few and have a nice set of 4 for the table.

Los Angeles, CA
    I will be watching with great interest.

Reno NV
    Way to go Ken!

I had to make a bunch of kindling for the fireplace today. Doesn't look much different than splitting with a froe! But I'm sure your results will be much much nicer.

Can't wait to see how this shapes up. Seems like a lot of steps to make one chair...

But I think that's part of the whole enjoyment of the thing, and you know that you will be making family heirlooms that WILL be enjoyed for a very long time

Tokyo Japan
    This is going to be a fun thread to watch, I'm sure you will make three wonderful chair Ken, and we get to watch!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Kansas City, Missouri
    Good for you Ken, looks like it was a lot of work, but will be well worth it.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I'm following this with great interest, as I want to use those techniques in a future project I'm cooking.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...