My Windsor chairs attempt

ken werner

My Windsor chairs project - only took 6 years!

Well, after Ben, and more than a few of you gave me a little kick, or should I say motivation, I got started.

Here is the thread that shows the wood I began with:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18624

So yesterday I split some pieces from the shortest log section, 26" long. This is a nearly veneer quality white oak log. The wood is just super, with very few defects, mostly just nice straight grain.
IMG_6867.jpg

Next, mark my 1" x 1" billets, split them out with a froe:
IMG_6875.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6869.jpg

From the rough billets, they will be shaped on the shaving horse using a draw knife, into 3/4" x 3/4" pieces, to be shaped later into spindles.

Here's the horse, which usually lives outside, brought into the shop and ready to work.

IMG_6877.jpg

Before he left for school, Ben did a great job cleaning up the shop. Now I get to mess it up with shavings flying.

My intention is to make 3 chairs, to go with the one I made last February with Elia Bizzarri. This is a daunting undertaking for me, but we'll see how it all goes.

Last edited:
Way to go Ken!

I had to make a bunch of kindling for the fireplace today. Doesn't look much different than splitting with a froe! But I'm sure your results will be much much nicer.

Can't wait to see how this shapes up. Seems like a lot of steps to make one chair...

But I think that's part of the whole enjoyment of the thing, and you know that you will be making family heirlooms that WILL be enjoyed for a very long time :thumb: :thumb:

glad yu got started ken:)!!! one question i know from my wood cuttun and splittun that oak splits easier cold.. is that why yu waited this long or could yu have done it as soon as yu got your log home??

I wish you the best of luck with your chair adventure.

I just want to say that I really like that rustic shaving horse you have there. If it could talk I wonder what it would say.

Thanks Andrew and welcome to the family here.

I made it several years ago, and it looks ancient because it lives outside. As to what it would say - my guess is "neigh"

one question i know from my wood cuttun and splittun that oak splits easier cold.. is that why yu waited this long or could yu have done it as soon as yu got your log home??

Nah, the only reason I waited was because I was working up the courage to start. I could have split it right away. That being said, it does split really nicely now in the cold. Because the wood is frozen - we're having highs in the 20s, it is a bit hard getting the wedge seated in the intact log. After that, it's pretty easy, and the froe works really great. I found a really old froe at a garage sale, and I like it much better than the bigger modern one I bought before it, which will soon go up for sale.