My Windsor chairs attempt

Gee glad i caught this thread. Go Ken Go.:D:thumb:

Now i can see the joy of having a shaving horse.

I do have a question though having just sharpened a batch of planes.

Given the grain of the wood is it neccessary to be using the shaving method to get to the point of square blanks. Is this just traditional of could it be done with a plane?

I take it this QSO yet you mention the seat is pine is there a reason behind it or just what you want and have on hand? Off the cuff i am presuming the pine is easier to scallop out for a seat.:dunno:

Keep at it Ken.:thumb::thumb: I am envious.

Rob, the oak is not quartersawn - it is rived, the goal being a square with grain as shown in the photo.

The components are made of species best for their use - the spindles are white oak - could be red oak, ash, or others. The seat is pine beacuse it is easier to shape, and lightweight. The legs are maple for strength and fine grain - especially when turned in a fancy pattern. Mine will be simple, and could be oak also.

Next steps

so, now that I have a bunch of spindle blanks, it's time to start shaping them into spindles. First mark and trim the bulge, then remove material above and below it. I use a little shop made gauge. Once the tapers are done, I drawknife or spokeshave from a square cross section to an octagon.

Blank on the right, shaped spindle on the left:

IMG_7123.jpg

And after a while I have a few more:

IMG_7124.jpg

These are still pretty rough, but now they can dry some more, before spokeshaving into nicely rounded and tapered pieces. I'm doing the long ones first, if I mess one up, it can usually become a short one. Each chair requires 9 long and 4 short spindles.

I'm taking my time, and hoping that I'll get better at it as I do more.

Well, I'm just progressing very slowly. But the spindle blanks are rived, squared and shaped green. Then they go into a kiln for a week to dry before further shaping and more importantly, getting fitted for the mortises they'll go into on either end.

Well, I'm just progressing very slowly. But the spindle blanks are rived, squared and shaped green. Then they go into a kiln for a week to dry before further shaping and more importantly, getting fitted for the mortises they'll go into on either end.

ok its been awhile and so how are you doing on the chair ken??? we gave you 6 months to get back to it:) so whats next in the process beside gettin you back in the shop or on the shaving horse:)?

Ack! 6 months have passed by.

The spindles are shaped, and I've rived the continuous arm blanks, but have yet to shave them to size before steaming and bending. I'm still at a standstill, with much other stuff going on demanding my time.