Response 2 requests 4 Car Tissue Box Holder

Hi,

This is my response to those of you who requested more info on the Tissue (Kleenex) box holders for a car or truck.

Car Kleenex Box Holders

These holders are quite simple to make. I imagine that I made the first one over ten years ago. It was to be a temporary holder and to give me ideas for making the final product. I am still using the temporary. Guess I will have to put one of the new units in the car now that the trial period is over.

Debbie, the daughter-in-law, saw the temp unit and thought it was great. Well---this thought expanded almost instantly to Debbie’s mother and daughter. I suppose their interest made me think about the holders and I mentioned them to other people. Well, again---the plot thickens and other friends, docs, etc. want one for their car. Anyway I have seven or eight that I semi-mass produced. None of them has finish applied yet. The dark wood is mahogany, the light is white oak.

Here is the rundown. The first pic shows the original. You will note that there is a fairly large gap between the Tissue box and the verticals of the holder. This is the only one produced where I used any fastener other than glue.

View attachment 52991

Here is the bottom view of the original. Remember it was made of scrap wood. The holes in the bottom are not for some magic reason...they were in the scrap wood. Notice the three pieces of Velcro hook strips glued to the bottom. These strips have stayed on there for the life of the original. The hooks grab into the carpet and really hold the unit to the car.
View attachment 52992

Even with the sloppy fit to the box I never had one come out of the tray. A GM truck went through a sign and hit the Olds 88 at the back door. The truck was totaled. The tissue box remained in the tray and I drove the Olds home.

When producing the new units I made two models. One of these had higher sidewalls than the original. I thought some people might want to place bigger, higher, boxes in the unit and I was (and still am) unsure if the low walls would retain them. You can see how these sideboards are higher than the original.
View attachment 52993

The next picture show the 1/8 inch ply and a couple taller side pieces.
View attachment 52994

Next is a pic of the zero clearance miter saw platform. The long Tissue holder side is against the stop on the left and has just been cut. The block clamped to the zero clearance platform is adjusted for the end pieces.
View attachment 52995

Three pics here. They are a top and bottom view of an empty high wall and one pic of an empty low wall.
View attachment 52996
View attachment 52997
View attachment 52998

The final pics show the unit in our Sonata. It is very easy to reach between the bucket seats from driver or passenger seat in the front. Obviously the tissues are very easy to reach from the back seats.
View attachment 52999
View attachment 53000

With bench seats or in a truck, the holder could be placed on the floor in front of the shifter, on top of the seatbacks in a truck, etc. Use your imagination.

The drivetrain “hump” in the Sonata has a gently curved top about the width of my hand. The Olds had a much more rounded top. I find it easy to concieve of a hump top that is quite rounded, say a 3 inch radius. In this case thin, longitudnal strips of wood would need to be glued to the bottom with the Velcro strips glued to them plus one in the center.

Ask if you have questions.

Enjoy,

Jim