Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Witches Brew

Witches Brew

Mmmmmm Bacon.....

http://www.dutchovendude.com/recipe.asp?a=1750

The inlaws bought me a dutch oven for xmas, so been trying some new recipes.

Any one else use a dutch oven (in the kitchen and/or camping ) that has recipes to share?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I want one of those so bad you lucky dog.
    I see this show all the time on PBS and she has a bunch of good sounding recipes for the Dutch oven.

http://www.aetn.org/programs/arkansasoutdoors
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

That recipe sounds like a goulash. Sounds like good eaten. My son gave me a Dutch Oven last Father's Day. I haven't tried it yet. My son is a master cook with them. He made us Thanksgiving dinner one year all cooked in Dutch Ovens.
    "We the People ......"

I use a Dutch oven for cooking, mostly while camping.
    Take a good look at that recipe. Nothing fancy about it. Throw in your ingredients, put over fire, eat when cooked.
    Fact is, most things cooked in a Dutch oven taste a whole bunch better than in fancy cookware.
    I have made a peachaberry cobbler that is flat-out great.
    Key to Dutch oven cooking is having a good Dutch oven. I never buy new, only at flea markets or antique shops and never one of the current 'name brand' ones. Then I completely scrub it and season. I season by buying a pound of genuine lard, yes, pork lard, not a sissy-wussuy vegetable substitute, I'll rub the inside with the lard, leave a big clump in the bottom and heat the whole thing in the oven at about 350 degrees for a couple hours. With use the seasoning will penetrate through the iron. The more use your Dutch oven gets the better it will get. Same with all cast iron cook ware. I cook with cast iron frying pans also.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank,
    I've got a Dutch Oven but haven't really used it much. Had grand plans when I bought it but have just never gotten around to using it. Now a good cast iron skillet is another story. The one I've got is awesome. I had this thing seasoned perfectly and used it for a meal. I left it on the stove to cool after dinner and went outside to finish some yard work. LOML decided to do me a favor and do a bangup job cleaning my dirty skillet. She scrubbed the darn thing with a brillo pad until it looked like new!

After coming in from outside and practically having a stroke, I calmly explained to her that you don't scrub a cast iron skillet. Just wipe it out with a paper towel and maybe a little hot water then put it back in the cupboard. It took me a long time to get it back to its former glory but I finally did it. Here's a perfectly seasoned cast iron skillet. The original non-stick cookware.

John
    Last edited by John Pollman; 01-09-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I gave ya the wrong link earlier.

http://www.aetn.org/programs/arkansa...n_cornish_hens
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Witches Brew was a hit, going over better than the way the Chiefs are playing right now. Looks like one to keep on the favorites list. I thought that the cayenne pepper might be a bit much, so only put half in, ended up putting the other 1/2 teaspoon in before it was done, just the right amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I have made a peachaberry cobbler that is flat-out great.
    Sounds good! What's the recipe?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Sounds good! Will have to give it a try.
    Darren

Man I read some of those recipes in the original link. They sound GOOD! As I said, I've got a Dutch Oven but it's pretty much for using on a campfire because it's got legs on it. When I bought it, we could still have outdoor fires in a fire pit. But now they want a $25 "burning permit" and they regulate the heck out of when and how you can burn. I need to get one with a flat bottom that I can use on my electric stove and then put in the oven. When I do, I'm going to try a few of those recipes! Thanks for the link.

John

EDIT:
    Wait a minute! I've got an angle grinder. I think it's time to cut the legs off that sucker and grind it smooth. Why spend another $50 or more for a new one. I'd better get busy.
    Last edited by John Pollman; 01-09-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Now ye got it. I know Phyllis Speer, she lives in my county. She has promised me if I ever kill a bear in Arkansas she will cook up a roast from it and teach me how to cook bear properly. Now, all I gotta do is kill the bear.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire