Witches Brew

That recipe sounds like a goulash. Sounds like good eaten. My son gave me a Dutch Oven last Father's Day. I haven't tried it yet. My son is a master cook with them. He made us Thanksgiving dinner one year all cooked in Dutch Ovens.

I use a Dutch oven for cooking, mostly while camping.
Take a good look at that recipe. Nothing fancy about it. Throw in your ingredients, put over fire, eat when cooked.
Fact is, most things cooked in a Dutch oven taste a whole bunch better than in fancy cookware.
I have made a peachaberry cobbler that is flat-out great.
Key to Dutch oven cooking is having a good Dutch oven. I never buy new, only at flea markets or antique shops and never one of the current 'name brand' ones. Then I completely scrub it and season. I season by buying a pound of genuine lard, yes, pork lard, not a sissy-wussuy vegetable substitute, I'll rub the inside with the lard, leave a big clump in the bottom and heat the whole thing in the oven at about 350 degrees for a couple hours. With use the seasoning will penetrate through the iron. The more use your Dutch oven gets the better it will get. Same with all cast iron cook ware. I cook with cast iron frying pans also.

Frank,
I've got a Dutch Oven but haven't really used it much. Had grand plans when I bought it but have just never gotten around to using it. Now a good cast iron skillet is another story. The one I've got is awesome. I had this thing seasoned perfectly and used it for a meal. I left it on the stove to cool after dinner and went outside to finish some yard work. LOML decided to do me a favor and do a bangup job cleaning my dirty skillet. She scrubbed the darn thing with a brillo pad until it looked like new! :eek::bang::bang::bang:

After coming in from outside and practically having a stroke, I calmly explained to her that you don't scrub a cast iron skillet. Just wipe it out with a paper towel and maybe a little hot water then put it back in the cupboard. It took me a long time to get it back to its former glory but I finally did it. Here's a perfectly seasoned cast iron skillet. The original non-stick cookware. :)

1200frypan.jpg

John

Last edited:
Witches Brew was a hit, going over better than the way the Chiefs are playing right now. Looks like one to keep on the favorites list. I thought that the cayenne pepper might be a bit much, so only put half in, ended up putting the other 1/2 teaspoon in before it was done, just the right amount.

I have made a peachaberry cobbler that is flat-out great.

Sounds good! What's the recipe? :wave:

Man I read some of those recipes in the original link. They sound GOOD! As I said, I've got a Dutch Oven but it's pretty much for using on a campfire because it's got legs on it. When I bought it, we could still have outdoor fires in a fire pit. But now they want a $25 "burning permit" and they regulate the heck out of when and how you can burn. I need to get one with a flat bottom that I can use on my electric stove and then put in the oven. When I do, I'm going to try a few of those recipes! Thanks for the link.

John

EDIT:
Wait a minute! I've got an angle grinder. I think it's time to cut the legs off that sucker and grind it smooth. Why spend another $50 or more for a new one. I'd better get busy. :)

Last edited:
Witches Brew was a hit, going over better than the way the Chiefs are playing right now. Looks like one to keep on the favorites list. I thought that the cayenne pepper might be a bit much, so only put half in, ended up putting the other 1/2 teaspoon in before it was done, just the right amount.

Sounds good! What's the recipe? :wave:

Recipe? Who uses a recipe? Ye jes do it.

But, for the beginner.....:rolleyes:

Cut up a buncha peaches, dump in a buncha blueberries, add some water and sugar. Make up a batter with Bisquick and pour over the top.
In a shallow pit have a good bed of hot coals from hardwood (charcoal briquettes are OK for you city types), place the Dutch oven on coals and shovel coals onto the lid (you really need the three legged type of Dutch oven with a lipped lid for this) and wait. Do a good job of guessing how long it will take to cook it all. Note: You almost can't overcook. Probably an hour or thereabouts.

When done, scoop out a big dollop for yerself first. THEN, tell the other folks it is ready or there won't be any left for you.

Now ye got it. I know Phyllis Speer, she lives in my county. She has promised me if I ever kill a bear in Arkansas she will cook up a roast from it and teach me how to cook bear properly. Now, all I gotta do is kill the bear.

frank, i know of a few converts i have made with some BEAR roasts.. if yu ever have a chance dont turn it down..YUM, YUM:thumb:

Mission accomplished!

About ten minutes with my angle grinder and I'm almost ready to go.

Dutch_oven_1.JPG

Dutch_oven_2.JPG

There's one recipe on that site for Beef Burgundy that you serve over egg noodles. That one will be one of the first. But Witches Brew won't be far behind. ;)

John

No dutch ovens but I have a 12" skillet and a 12" round griddle that belonged to my Great Grandmother. Don't know how many tons of chicken have gone through that skillet or pancakes on the griddle in the last 100+ years. You can't beat a good cast iron cooker of any kind. LOML calls it country teflon. Picked up a couple of smaller skillets over the years and they're seasoned good as well. Wouldn't trade for anything with a cord coming out of it. :thumb:

Mmmmmm Bacon.....

http://www.dutchovendude.com/recipe.asp?a=1750

The inlaws bought me a dutch oven for xmas, so been trying some new recipes.

Any one else use a dutch oven (in the kitchen and/or camping :D) that has recipes to share?

LOML wanted one for Christmas, so I told my son... he couldn't decide which size to get her... so he got both sizes... Me.. I don't cook if I can get out of it.... I can, just don't like to... but LOML might have a few recipes to share... she spends hours on the computer looking for recipes and filing them for future use.

Tonight we had a dish called Kema or Kemah... a Pakistani or Indian dish made with ground beef and about every spice you can think of, over Jasmine rice... it was hot going down... going to dread when it arrives at the exit... lost of ice cream later tonight...:rofl:

LOML wanted one for Christmas, so I told my son... he couldn't decide which size to get her... so he got both sizes... Me.. I don't cook if I can get out of it.... I can, just don't like to... but LOML might have a few recipes to share... she spends hours on the computer looking for recipes and filing them for future use.

Tonight we had a dish called Kema or Kemah... a Pakistani or Indian dish made with ground beef and about every spice you can think of, over Jasmine rice... it was hot going down... going to dread when it arrives at the exit... lost of ice cream later tonight...:rofl:

And maybe a popsicle tomorrow? :eek::D:rofl:

Never mind... :)

John

We had some friends come up for the weekend. They brought some wild sow and we had the best Persian rice with Tadig and wild sow Kebabs you can imagine. I believe he brought up some of the backstrap and round from the sow.

Mission accomplished!

About ten minutes with my angle grinder and I'm almost ready to go.

Dutch_oven_1.JPG

Dutch_oven_2.JPG

There's one recipe on that site for Beef Burgundy that you serve over egg noodles. That one will be one of the first. But Witches Brew won't be far behind. ;)

John

Now you can put the Dutch oven inside a modern oven. :rolleyes: That will work. Kinda sacrilegious but I won't tell.
That beef burgundy over egg noodles has my tummy growin' already. Sounds very good. Look up Julia Child's recipe for beef burgundy. It is sumptin' special.

Yeah Frank, that Beef Burgundy is probably going to be my first experiment. But another recipe caught my eye too that I'm going to try very soon. The Irish Soda Bread looks awesome. I LOVE BREAD! :)

John.