Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready for Snow

Ready for Snow

Not a woodworking project, but had fun welding and fabricating the mounts for this today to get ready for the snow we're expecting tomorrow.

My dad had it on one of his old cub cadets when I was growning up. He had mentioned that it was sitting on the fence line out at the farm if I wanted it. Has a little rust and a couple of holes to patch, but it was in good shape, especially after a good soaking of penetrating fluid to loosen it up.

The cub cadet used a mount under the tractor, but my JD uses a clip on connection on the front, had to fabricate a couple of brackets for each side, then used some 5/8 cold roll to attach it to the clip. The bottom rod is stationary to the attachment and is welded on, the top rod is inserted through the front and pinned on each end. I welded on a piece of angle iron and used the two ears of the original attachment to connect the plow to the new attachment.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20110109_190841.jpg   IMG_20110109_190620.jpg   IMG_20110109_190819.jpg   IMG_20110109_212304.jpg   IMG_20110109_212326.jpg  

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    works for me U can clear my drive way any time..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

...and it ought to work just fine in your drive, Don.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Looks plenty skookum to me!

I think I see a bit there that would allow your to lower and raise the plow, but can you also turn it to the left or right?

Needs some time with the wire wheel and some paint........ JD green of course
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Has a little rust and a couple of holes to patch,
    A "little" rust. Hmm.
    Well that should work fine when you get a "little" snow...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I also hope you have chains for your tractor
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    ...and it ought to work just fine in your drive, Don.
    Might leave more rust on your driveway than removing snow though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Looks plenty skookum to me!

I think I see a bit there that would allow your to lower and raise the plow, but can you also turn it to the left or right?

Needs some time with the wire wheel and some paint........ JD green of course
    Yup, Welded my two cut-offs from the brackets together to make the angle I needed. It goes up a lot easier than one might think, little or no effort, seems well balanced too. There's a pin to pull and it can be swiveled left or right a couple of notches in each direction. Actually I think it's suppose to be JD Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    A "little" rust. Hmm.
    Well that should work fine when you get a "little" snow...
    Well, it is older than me actually and I feel that rusty today after working in the cold and lifting the thing around. Surprisingly all the nuts and bolts came right off after soaking with penetrating fluid, even the skids were able to be lowered. The front is the only part that is rusted through in a few areas. Around those holes I couldn't even bend the metal with a hammer. I do have some thin steel to sheet over it if needed, but looks like its going to be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I also hope you have chains for your tractor
    I have a couple of wheel weights on each back wheel, but the local tractor supply has them if I do end up needing them. Figured I'd give it a try before spending the $80 for them.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Darren you amaze me. You guys with your mini tractors and country living. Call me green with envy, part of me feels deprived. Oh to get out of the suburbs and city.

Well done what a pleasure winter is going to be with that little baby. Have you not had snow yet? I guess you must have and the shovelling motivated you to get the tractor sorted.

So you gonna clean the plough up and paint it? You never said.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Darren you amaze me. You guys with your mini tractors and country living. Call me green with envy, part of me feels deprived. Oh to get out of the suburbs and city.

Well done what a pleasure winter is going to be with that little baby. Have you not had snow yet? I guess you must have and the shovelling motivated you to get the tractor sorted.

So you gonna clean the plough up and paint it? You never said.
    We got a dusting of 1/2" the other night which was our first real snow. Last night we got a few inches and are expecting a few more today and tomorrow. My drive is about 70' to the house and about 130' long up to my shop. We'll see how well it does without chains. I'm hoping to at least clean off the concrete drive at the house, but may get the top part of the gravel drive cleared off as well.

I will be painting it, just want to try it out and make sure I don't have any modifications to do first. I think it's going to work just fine as it is and hopefully I'll knock off some rust. Will give a report tonight.
    Darren

That rig will make quick work of a few inches of snow Darren, especially if you angle it off. I predict, however, that you'll be wishing for chains (I recently discovered tirechains.com. they have all sizes, mailorder) and all the weight on the rear end that you can arrange. We could bring Stu in to sit on the back, but that wouldn't work, he's too thin now
    Have fun!