Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Stand UPDATE

Aquarium Stand UPDATE

Hey All! Haven't been posting in a while, been doing a lot of fishing and other stuff the past year. Got back in the shop over the holidays and produced a few pieces for my home office / computer room / "man cave".

First two pic's are shelves I made to display my fishing reel collection. One is maple, the other wenge.

LOML, my son and daughter in law were planning on getting me a 90 gallon fish tank for Christmas. They didn't like any of the 'store bought' stands so they offered to up the tank size to 120 gallon if I built the stand. Sounded like a great offer so I took it!

The basic stand is made from 3/4 maple plywood and trimmed in maple and wenge. My supplier had some real nice plywood. The side panels and back panel in the center are held in with rare earth magnets offering full access to the back if needed. Finished with one coat BLO and several light coats of Tried and True beeswax/BLO mixture. Looking forward to getting it set up this weekend!

As always, questions / comments / suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for looking! Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20101225_514 (800 x 536).jpg   20101225_515 (800 x 536).jpg   20110109_567 (800 x 536).jpg   20110109_572 (800 x 536).jpg   20110109_573 (800 x 536).jpg  

Last edited by Tony Falotico; 01-23-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Tony, BCE '75

Wow, you sure have some beautiful reels. I like the display of fishing reels over the fish tank
    Beautiful work on the stand as well
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Wow.

Tony,

We've got a 30 gal at home, and we sometimes find it a hassle to change the water. (For those who don't keep tanks, the recommendation from our aquarium stores is that you want to change out 1/3 of the water each week to keep the tank healthy) On our tank, that is just 4-5 buckets, which is already annoying -- we're looking for a hose that attaches to the sink for refilling. But on your tank, that is like 40 gallons of water! How do you manage that? Or do the rules change on larger tanks?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Great looking projects and collection Tony! So is it a saltwater tank?

I'd like to see some pics once you get it stocked.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    For those who don't keep tanks, the recommendation from our aquarium stores is that you want to change out 1/3 of the water each week to keep the tank healthy
    Art,

That's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Seems like you would be rebalancing the water over and over, constantly. I've had tanks that went a year without a major water change. What kind of filter are you using?

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Art,

That's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Seems like you would be rebalancing the water over and over, constantly. I've had tanks that went a year without a major water change. What kind of filter are you using?
    Bill
    Depending on how many fish and how much algae has built up in the tank to create a good ecosystem it is necessary to take that much water to keep ammonia levels acceptable. Once the ecosystem is balance it shouldn't be necessary except for general cleaning.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That should be a great set-up when you get it going. I used to keep fish, had tanks all over the house (actually 'houses' for many years). Decided to give them up when we moved here. Do show pics later when tank is 'populated'.

As for the water changing thing. I used multiple filters but mostly depended on the under-gravel one to provide balance. I changed about 50% of the water roughly annually. If there was some kind of problem (cracks, leaks, disease, etc.) I would change almost all of it.
    Methinks the monthly advice can cause more problems than leaving alone.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Wow. Tony, We've got a 30 gal at home, and we sometimes find it a hassle to change the water. (For those who don't keep tanks, the recommendation from our aquarium stores is that you want to change out 1/3 of the water each week to keep the tank healthy) On our tank, that is just 4-5 buckets, which is already annoying -- we're looking for a hose that attaches to the sink for refilling. But on your tank, that is like 40 gallons of water! How do you manage that? Or do the rules change on larger tanks?
    Art, note the strategic placement next to a window. There is a hose bib right outside and I plan on siphoning (or pumping) direct to the ground.

Changing 1/3 each week seems excessive, but I guess that depends on how balanced the tank is. I plan on a well planted setup, so hopefully water changes won't be required that frequently.

Darren: No, I'm going freshwater heavily planted tank. I've always wanted a reef tank but not willing to commit to the level of upkeep they require.

Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Art,

Fluval cannister filter. I forget the exact model number.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Fluval cannister filter. I forget the exact model number.
    Yes, something's wrong with this picture, or I'm missing something. Assuming you have a right-sized filter (and by that I mean over-sized), the tank isn't over populated and you're not over-feeding, you should just about never have to change the water. Changing it just leads to constant trouble and aggravation, and... more changes...

So I figure there must be something I'm missing. 1/3 per week is advice for gold-fish bowls, not aquariums...

Any idea about their reasoning?

Thanks,

Bill

Ps. Tony, I would paint the window side of the tank, if that's a south or west facing window. Otherwise, it's an invitation to algae...
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 01-11-2011 at 08:31 PM.