big window question

Frank Fusco

We have three large windows in our living room/dining area. They look out over our 1 1/2 acre yard. Being high, we have a hillside house, we love the view and ability to watch wildlife.
Enneyhow, a couple years ago one of the windows (all are double paned) lost it's seal and we had it replaced. A couple months later the new window lost it's seal and was replaced under warranty. Now, another window has lost it's seal and I'm facing a costly (about $400.00) expense to replace it. :(
BTW, the house is now about 13 years old.
How long should one reasonably expect windows like these to last?
And, is the optional (expensive) low-E thing really worth the additional money?

The Andersen® windows in my 21 year old house are holding up quite well. I've had one pane (in a 4 pane window) have the seal fail, but that's all. The other fifteen panes in the house are just fine.

Only as long as its warranty. Not trying to be funny, but if you have a ten year warranty, I would not expect it to go longer.

My guess is that the larger the window the greater the stress on the seals. We have double pane, but no really large picture windows and have had no problem yet and it has been about 15 years.

There are not going to last longer than the traditional window with storm windows, but they are less trouble (no installing and removing the storm window each year) and have better insulating value.

I guess it all comes down to what is more bothersome to you, fussing with storm windows each year or fussing with the installer to replace your window under warranty.

As far as the low-e option. Since you're doing one window, it's probably not going to save enough energy to be worth paying for it. However, if you're doing all the windows and get a lot of sunlight through those windows then you might feel some comfort changes in the room with low-e (for the better). :dunno:

We have three large windows in our living room/dining area. They look out over our 1 1/2 acre yard. Being high, we have a hillside house, we love the view and ability to watch wildlife.
Enneyhow, a couple years ago one of the windows (all are double paned) lost it's seal and we had it replaced. A couple months later the new window lost it's seal and was replaced under warranty. Now, another window has lost it's seal and I'm facing a costly (about $400.00) expense to replace it. :(
BTW, the house is now about 13 years old.
And, is the optional (expensive) low-E thing really worth the additional money?

Frank

The Simonton line of vinyl seems to be some of the best out there. Depending on local codes..(down here I can't get a lot of windows in certain sizes, due to pressure ratings)

The Stormbreaker line is excellent....not an impact glass, but double strength glass.

As for the low-e.....the Argon filled ones had an incredible rating for heat loss/heat gain. We had one window that would produce almost 120 degree heat in the summer during the afternoon. Switched it out with a Simonton Stormbreaker, and the temperature dropped to almost room Temperature.

Install on these are usually a cake walk as well. Warranty is Lifetime on the vinyl, glass breakage, argon leaking, etc. A VERY good product. And I even recommend these over anything Anderson or any other company has out there.

Do NOT buy them through the BORG. Markup up is 187%....go to a local supplier and order them....just make sure that the mulls, window type, and sizing all meet your cities new code. It is a common mistake to think that any window size can be made to fit an opening.....do your research...your supplier should know this info.

I have almost 30 years in window, door, and roofing installs.......and you will not be disappointed with this product.

Check on federal and state rebates as well

Any questions feel free to ask!

http://www.simonton.com/

Frank

The Simonton line of vinyl seems to be some of the best out there. Depending on local codes..(down here I can't get a lot of windows in certain sizes, due to pressure ratings)

The Stormbreaker line is excellent....not an impact glass, but double strength glass.

As for the low-e.....the Argon filled ones had an incredible rating for heat loss/heat gain. We had one window that would produce almost 120 degree heat in the summer during the afternoon. Switched it out with a Simonton Stormbreaker, and the temperature dropped to almost room Temperature.

Install on these are usually a cake walk as well. Warranty is Lifetime on the vinyl, glass breakage, argon leaking, etc. A VERY good product. And I even recommend these over anything Anderson or any other company has out there.

Do NOT buy them through the BORG. Markup up is 187%....go to a local supplier and order them....just make sure that the mulls, window type, and sizing all meet your cities new code. It is a common mistake to think that any window size can be made to fit an opening.....do your research...your supplier should know this info.

I have almost 30 years in window, door, and roofing installs.......and you will not be disappointed with this product.

Check on federal and state rebates as well

Any questions feel free to ask!

http://www.simonton.com/

Thanks. I'll ask questions with this replacement. I don't even know the length of warranty or brand name for my other that I had replaced.
I am considering the low-E thing because this window gets the direct sun in the morning and in summer can put a lot of heat into the house quickly.

Thanks. I'll ask questions with this replacement. I don't even know the length of warranty or brand name for my other that I had replaced.
I am considering the low-E thing because this window gets the direct sun in the morning and in summer can put a lot of heat into the house quickly.

I put the window to the test before I installed it. I got a heat lamp and got the temperature on the glass up to 160 degrees. then I measured the interior glass.....it was cool...just a little warm.

Also don't be fooled with "3" pane glass systems.....for the price difference compared to the energy difference...it was no way worth the extra money.

One last thing....The "pay-back" on investment with these windows is rated as being one of the best things you can do, next to A/C replacement.

Most of my windows were 36 by 50 casements, I replaced them with double hungs that tilt, etc.....they were about 280 each....what cost me was the front trapezoids....ugh....they were expensive. But you will be happy

Frank,

I've worked installing windows for years, the low-E (which I have installed in my house, what a diff!) does work, and IMHO is worth the upgrade.

As a side note, if you install one panel of glass as low-e next to another window that is not (ie on the same side of your house) it will look different especially from outside. It will kinda give off the impression that one window is tinted and the other is not. If this is the only window on that side of the house most won't notice that it's diff.

It does make a big diff, especially if the sun shines directly in the room from that one window.

Just my 2 cents - wait, darn! all I got is a nickel. Anybody got change?:D

Brian

I have decided to get the low-e thing. Where the window is no one will notice it is different than the others.
The store said it doesn't have a brand name :huh: they just order from their suppliers. It will have a five year warranty.
We have another glass store in the area but I don't care to do business with them because of an individual who works there.