Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Maple SW influenced HF

Red Maple SW influenced HF

After Vaughn's visit and I got the chuck to square up, I was anxious to try out what I thought I had absorbed in his teaching. Thanx again Vaughn

Wood courtesy of Jeff Nicol, 5" x 2 1/4". Walls are ~ 1/4 to 5/16 at the base, opening 1 1/8" Finish is shellac, BLO, more shellac and 3 coats of Formby's tung oil finish. I will buff it out in a few more days. After looking at the pics, I need to rub some oil under the collar so you can't see the line.

I really love the "seed pot" pottery forms, and have tried the ufo shapes, odd shapes, and this one is pretty much modeled after Vaughn's work, Steve S and the others that have refined this form so well. There is no arguing that this is my best piece by following their lead. Thank you!
    mj

ps - This really is easier when your chuck runs true!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails upper.jpg   side.jpg   bottom.jpg   w sage.jpg  

Good stuff there, Michael. You're well on your way. After you do a few of these, they get as easy as falling off a bicycle.

I typically hit the insides of my hollow forms with a coat or two of whatever oil finish I'm using. I don't buff it out, but it helps to make the inside color the same as the outside color.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Great job there Michael. I really like this form alot, It's easy to turn and looks good two.
    Steve

Very nice Michael. The grain pattern on that wood is real neat the way you managed to get it to run.

Vaughn (i hope you check back here) but i was wondering how does not coating the inside with finish affect the aspect of moisture absorbtion and future consistency of the shape.

I am thinking here we are always hearing guys say when veneering to make sure to do both sides of the substrate that one is veneering. Does the finish on a bowl stop the drying out if its applied both sides like on a open bowl with double sided access? Would this form of Michaels go on to change shape due to inside being unfinished?
    cheers

That is some really nice work and beautiful wood. I have a question about your finish. You applied oil over shellac, BLO and Tung Oil. Doesn't shellac dry to a hard finish? (I've never worked with shellac). If it does, what does the oil do? It can't soak in. As you can read, I don't know a lot about finishes.
    "We the People ......"

That is a beauty Michael. Really well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nicely done Michael!
    Great looking piece of timber.
    Pleasing form to the eye.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Beautiful form and gorgeous wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    That is some really nice work and beautiful wood. I have a question about your finish. You applied oil over shellac, BLO and Tung Oil. Doesn't shellac dry to a hard finish? (I've never worked with shellac). If it does, what does the oil do? It can't soak in. As you can read, I don't know a lot about finishes.
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Shellac can be used as a barrier coat, which should balance out the absorption rate. I did put some BLO on 1st but not a heavy coat - just enough to make it look wet.
    I like shellac because it is compatible with everything else and easy to take back to the wood as opposed to wipe on poly. Once you get it the way you want it you can stay there or go with gloss lacquer, or poly or ??? I like the finish to be IN the wood, rather than ON the wood. I would make a finish decision on a case by case basis....but generally, I just like shellac. If you go that route use Z's seal coat or other dewaxed shellac, or if you mix your own make sure you skim the wax off. Also, the formby's is a tung oil finish, which is part tung oil and probably poly "somethings" to harden it, thus adding a more durable finish.

Michael, thanks for the info. I have to give shellac a try.
    "We the People ......"