satelite images

Rob Keeble

Hi All

I have very close friends in Bellbowrie, Queensland, Australia and i have not been able to get in touch with them.

I am looking on the web to find uptodate detailed satelite images for the area.

Anyone know of a site or place on the web where there are free images.

I am a little dissapointed with Google. You would think for a disaster such as this they would have updated their map satelite images of the area to help people establish where the floods are exactly rather than rely on the media that is at best vague when you need them.

Any help appreciated.

Yesterday I found this cbc story, which had a link to a youtube video from Toowoomba (west of Brisbane).

It's an amateur video, seems to be taken from the 2nd floor of an apartment buidling alongside a river. It is jaw-droppingly stunning to see the water rise and just start picking up cars and floating them down the river. Watch to the very end and see the cars piled up like so many matchbox car toys. See the one snippet about 2/3 through where a car hits a foot bridge, and is sucked UNDER the bridge to keep floating downstream.

...art

...I am a little dissapointed with Google. You would think for a disaster such as this they would have updated their map satelite images of the area to help people establish where the floods are exactly rather than rely on the media that is at best vague when you need them...

Rob, I'm not certain, but I don't think Google has unlimited access to the imaging satellites. I suspect they lease time on them well in advance. There are likely satellite images of the flood areas, but I'll bet they were taken by a governmental entity, not a commercial one.

Here are some NASA images, but they're a few days old:

http://www.examiner.com/natural-dis...ellite-images-show-expanding-floods-australia

Thank you everyone. Art your link led me to one where i found a video of their local shopping center. From piecing bits and pieces together re maps and power outtage warnings i reckon they might just be ok. If they are its by feet and inches. The altitude of where they located is 23m above sea level.:(

Yeah Vaughn Google relys on updates from suppliers as and when. I was just hoping naively that for once all our collective hi tech spy equipment that was paid for by the citizens of the globe in their various countries might just be put to some good by providing updated images for Google.

In the end i had to rely on joe public and private you tube video.

And these network media guys wonder why we getting tired of their engineered news.:D Power to the people.

Starting to seem to me like there is an opportunity arising in this world for a home packaged emergency pop up life raft like is used on ships where the canister opens up on contact with the water and deploys a life raft.

Floods everywhere have displaced and affected millions in the world in the past i would say 6 months. We have first aid kits and fire extinguishes and it looks like we would be better off with a raft lately.

Well i hope my friends are safe. I will try the bush telegraph to see if i can use other sources to locate them. They pretty hardy bunch and self reliant so I should not need to be worrying unless they got caught off guard which can happen to anyone. So much for living near a river.:(