On The Move

Les Elm

With a Pioneer Grain Elevator from Bonner, AB in 1968.
This elevator was moved across the prairie at total of 6 miles.
Not many of these left in operation any more.
Kids now a-days have to go to a museum to see how they worked.

Les

21b6a28.jpg

29pxe89.jpg

290trwn.jpg

2qitw09.jpg

1z5u0p2.jpg

2djpgsn.jpg

2hrfxhs.jpg

Nice pic's Les.

I had to do a second look at pic #1. I saw the child striding towards the raised building and thought for 1/2 a second that it was an adult. How big is that trailer? Then I saw the adult legs in among the trailer and realized it was a child.

I have a 1.3 acre lot that if I had a chance I would love to move an old house onto. The current house is from 1967 and just doesn't have the character of the 100+ year old houses next door and across the street. I don't have 100 year old plumbing either, so I should count my blessings I guess.

Keep em coming Les.

Jim

...I have a 1.3 acre lot that if I had a chance I would love to move an old house onto. The current house is from 1967 and just doesn't have the character of the 100+ year old houses next door and across the street. I don't have 100 year old plumbing either, so I should count my blessings I guess...

Back sometime in the late '50s or early '60s, my grandfather bought a government surplus house in Los Alamos NM (leftover housing from the Manhattan Project) and had it moved about 100 miles north to El Vado Lake in northern NM. (It was Grandma and Grandpa's lake cabin when I was growing up.) Even today, the road to both places is a winding, climbing trip in a regular car. I can only imagine how it was on the older, narrower roads with a house hauler. At the time, there was at last one company working full time moving these houses from Los Alamos to various other places around the state.

Very cool. My last shop mwas in a old grain mill. It sill has most of the flat belt system hnaging up in the rafters. Wish their where more bldgs like that around.