Thread: Another Lesson Learned

Another Lesson Learned

Mounted a large pc of walnut this morning and started turning it (see pictures 1-3). I was done with the interior and exterior except for the foot. I decided to turn a nub between the chuck and the bottom of this large vessel - it was turned to about 3/4". I then decided to rought sand it a bit before i put it away for drying. Sanded the inside fine but when i changed to the outside the small tennon (nub) I turned snapped and the vessel dropped onto the concrete floor and cracked..................

So, after alot of anger I decided to try to save it if I could.

The first issue was what to do about the crack?............I used a rotary type tool and made a groove on both sides of the vessel like a small "V" and then filled it with black epoxy.................Now drying

Second issue is what to do about the gouge in it when it hit the lathe bed...........Im thinking to sand it and blend it back into the curve of the vessel as best I can so it may look like a natural void.......anybody else think of anything ???????

I was so close to finishing this to dry when this happened..... It is a dang shame.....

Pictures 4-6 are the maple burl bowl from awhile back now finished - DO-Tripoli buff - WD - Renaissance by hand and buffed off by hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked-1.jpg   Cracked-2.jpg   Cracked-3.jpg   Shell-1.jpg   Shell-2.jpg  

Shell-3.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

I'd recommend a scotch and a cigar...maybe a good movie and start again tomorrow!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I'd recommend a scotch and a cigar...maybe a good movie and start again tomorrow!!
    Ill 2nd that
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    It's unanimous.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I hate when that happens!

Try balloon for support

I saw a trick where a balloon was inflated inside a piece with a void to give it support while the filler material dried. Maybe that would give you a little extra support.

Hummm, ok I can do what Dr Phil suggests about finding inner peace and calmness. He says the way to find inner peace and be calm when things go wrong is to finish all the things you have started but didn't finish.

So, I looked around the the house after the turning accident and decided to finish that bottle of Crown Royal, a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, about a quarter ounce of green stuff, a package of Oreos, the remainder of an old Vicodin prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, some Doritos, a box of chocolates and the rest of my Xanax.
    You have noooooo idea how dam good I feel right now....Dr Phil rocks.
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 01-18-2011 at 04:41 AM.
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Hilarious Dan, both my wife and I laughed out load.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Ahhhhhhhhh well ya gotta have a sense of humor........

Ill post a pic after I finish it............