Another Lesson Learned

Dan Mosley

Mounted a large pc of walnut this morning and started turning it (see pictures 1-3). I was done with the interior and exterior except for the foot. I decided to turn a nub between the chuck and the bottom of this large vessel - it was turned to about 3/4". I then decided to rought sand it a bit before i put it away for drying. Sanded the inside fine but when i changed to the outside the small tennon (nub) I turned snapped and the vessel dropped onto the concrete floor and cracked..................

So, after alot of anger I decided to try to save it if I could.

The first issue was what to do about the crack?............I used a rotary type tool and made a groove on both sides of the vessel like a small "V" and then filled it with black epoxy.................Now drying

Second issue is what to do about the gouge in it when it hit the lathe bed...........Im thinking to sand it and blend it back into the curve of the vessel as best I can so it may look like a natural void.......anybody else think of anything ???????

I was so close to finishing this to dry when this happened..... It is a dang shame.....

Pictures 4-6 are the maple burl bowl from awhile back now finished - DO-Tripoli buff - WD - Renaissance by hand and buffed off by hand.

Attachments

• Cracked-1.jpg
    Cracked-1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Cracked-2.jpg
    Cracked-2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Cracked-3.jpg
    Cracked-3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Shell-1.jpg
    Shell-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Shell-2.jpg
    Shell-2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Shell-3.jpg
    Shell-3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 53
Try balloon for support

I saw a trick where a balloon was inflated inside a piece with a void to give it support while the filler material dried. Maybe that would give you a little extra support.

Hummm, ok I can do what Dr Phil suggests about finding inner peace and calmness. He says the way to find inner peace and be calm when things go wrong is to finish all the things you have started but didn't finish.

So, I looked around the the house after the turning accident and decided to finish that bottle of Crown Royal, a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, about a quarter ounce of green stuff, a package of Oreos, the remainder of an old Vicodin prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, some Doritos, a box of chocolates and the rest of my Xanax.
You have noooooo idea how dam good I feel right now....Dr Phil rocks.

Last edited: