Fox Shop 15" Planer (W1724) What do you think?

Greg Cook

A guy on craigslist has this planer for sale for $750. Says he bought it 6 months ago for $1270 and used to remodel a garage into a rec room. Now has no need for it and needs the room it's taking up. It weighs 430lb which would still fit into my little trailer, and be under the weight limit. But....

I already have a new Makita 12" benchtop planer mounted on a Rigid MUV... I know the units are totally different, and I would sell the Makita, but what do you think of the Fox Shop unit? I only own a mobile base by FS. $750 seems like a good price.

View attachment 4852

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W172...0/ref=sr_1_1/103-5780423-3615057?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Thanks,

Last edited:
It is a lot like my 15" Grizzly. If it has the cast iron wings and comes with the spiral cutter head, it seems like a pretty good buy. If it doesn't have either, I would think the price could be better. My .02

Spin off of the Grizzly units.
Better fit and finish from what I've seen.
Good price.

Opened e.mail up to see if owner had answered some questions I had on the Planer. I had a nice e.mail from him saying the planer had just sold to another guy.

Would liked to have gotten it, but I still have the Makita, and now I can continue to look for a Walker-Turner Bandsaw or Shaper.....:thumb:

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

You can get a new Yorkcraft 15" planer from Wilke/Bridgewood for $699 and the bigger 24" for $1049. People say that all these near look alike power tools come from the same plant with different labels.

Even if that were true, Ken, by the time he pays the freight costs (that I've normally seen from Wilke), from Wilke out to Seattle, "It Ain't No Bargain".:(

One other thing (in his case) going for the Shop Fox would be that since he is from Seattle, it should be NO problem getting local help for any problem that might develop in the unit, Since Grizz is there.

Last edited:
greg, any of the 15" tai/chi units are going to be a major improvement over a lunchbox! the knifes are resharpenable, they use a real motor so are lots quieter! they`ll live much longer and surface lumber faster....tod