Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts Washer Question

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Parts Washer Question

Question:

LOML just bought a "parts washer" for his shop, set it up, took out the instructions, and it says "DO NOT USE ANY NON-AQUEOUS SOLUTIONS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES"

Are they for real? Who ever heard of a parts washer that you can't put Varsol or mineral spirits in?

Advice? i.e. he's mad like a hornet.....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I wouldn't put my parts in Varasol or mineral spirits.

I've always used water based solutions in my parts washer and it works pretty well for getting the grime off. There are some really aggressive detergent type products out there that can really get the dirt and grime off parts.

I wash'em, I dry'em, and then give them a spray of wd40 to get rid of the water and keep them from rusting.

A lot easier to properly dispose of than petroleum based products.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Maybe Varsol is something that old-timers like......my father-in-law used to teach Auto Mechanics at SAIT or Southern Alberta Institute of Technology 50 years ago, so LOML grew up on that stuff, and he likes it. He's not against using water-based stuff if it works....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I'll let some of the other guys chime in, but I'm not real keen on having a big ole tub of flammable solvents just hanging around.

When I was actively working on restoring a 46 chevy, I had plenty of parts that needed cleaning and I found the heavy duty water based cleansers to do a good job.

Hi,

You brought back memories of my oldest son, Greg. He had a foreign car garage (Ferrari, Lamorghini, Jaguar, etc.). A man that worked for him put a Ferrari 12 (they are all 12, Dino's are 6) clyinder carbuerator in the cleaning bath and left it over night. Guess what? It cost $4,800 wholesale (that was in the late 1950's or early 1960's---I dont think God could afford one today) for a new one to replace the destroyed unit.

I hope you can translate Jim Bradley Fractured English. If not, you didn't miss anything.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hi,

You brought back memories of my oldest son, Greg. He had a foreign car garage (Ferrari, Lamorghini, Jaguar, etc.). A man that worked for him put a Ferrari 12 (they are all 12, Dino's are 6) clyinder carbuerator in the cleaning bath and left it over night. Guess what? It cost $4,800 wholesale (that was in the late 1950's or early 1960's---I dont think God could afford one today) for a new one to replace the destroyed unit.

I hope you can translate Jim Bradley Fractured English. If not, you didn't miss anything.

Enjoy,

Jim
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hi,

Enjoy,

Jim
    I got it
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I don't get it.
    What happened to the carb?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I would guess that all the seals and gaskets melted and maybe the metal parts pitted. Anyway you look at it it was sure an expensive lesson
    Faith, Hope & Charity