Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: think i'll join Dan.:)

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

think i'll join Dan.:)

I've been working on this for a benefit for my SIL. Well i was almost done when i thought i'd clean up a small ridge on the inside. Yea right, you know what happens when ya do that. So it looks like it's back to the drawing board.
    Dan i think i need to join ya if ya have anything left.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 [800x600].JPG   002 [800x600].JPG  

Yeah its thats last " just one more cut to clean up" that will get you. I have had that happen more than once and I guess I needed to learn the lesson over and over to get what not to do. I know better than to go back to the thin areas after getting into a vessel deep but I still have done it and sometimes with very light cutting I have gotton away with it and others times it has cracked. I knew better but still tried to do it......now I just reach in with 60-80 if the opening is big enough and sand my way.
    If you have a scrapping cutter on, freshly sharpened, and a very very light touch to the exact area - you could get away with it (maybe) but, if any of those things are not right the risk increases way up........I think by now I have learned.......I think........LMAO...................
    Frustrating to think of how long you spend to get it to the point you do and have things go wrong....but I spend time when I cool down to analyze what happened and to think thru how I can prevent it again in the future....
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

steve yu can salvaged the vessel.. glue on a base pice and return it to the shape yu need and it will stil work..and i am not even a turner but can see this still making the grade
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    steve yu can salvaged the vessel.. glue on a base pice and return it to the shape yu need and it will stil work..and i am not even a turner but can see this still making the grade
    Thought about that, but i've already started a new one. this time it will be made from some chocolate.
    Dan i knew better when i did it just thought i could get away with it this time. yea right.

I hate that last cut. Get's ya everytime. Is there enough wood there to put in a donut chuck and square the end off and glue a contrasting piece of wood on the bottom as Larry suggested. I have did that in a pinch and a lot of times those are the ones that sell first. Just a thought.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve,
    That's a very nice funnel you done there, allthough I think I would taper the top a little more and flare the bottom slightly to make pouring through easier...

I agree with Larry, you can clean up the bottom and then turn a bottom with a slight cone shape that would wedge into the bottom opening and then fix the bottom as a base or something... a nice contrasting wood would look great with the vase...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

All ready been put in the fire so no fix for this.

must be real cold down there steve if yu needed it that fast for heat
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    must be real cold down there steve if yu needed it that fast for heat
    Na not to bad today as it's 41 here. Just wanted to get rid of it before i spent to much time trying to fix it.

That's too bad. I'm such a glutton for punishment that I have a tendency to put finish on those piece before they hit the fire just to see how pretty it might have been if I hadn't screwed it up.