Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: art??? gimme a break

art??? gimme a break

I think the art is in fooling people into believing there is something special here and paying ridikulus big bucks for it.
    Still, I have to credit him with being able to get away with it.
    Check this out:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-307814

And, be sure to check out the 'artists' web site.
    I think I'll go to the garbage dump tomorrow to find some 'art' to sell. Prices will start at $100,000.00 for small stuff.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

He is good. He even has a manifesto.

What an absolute waste of money.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Holy Moly, That would buy a lot of drill bits...

Give the man a drill and a couple of drill bits and he'll drill for money in your wallet...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I don't know, Frank. He sounds like a pretty interesting guy:

"I attended Fordham University in New York City where I studied Finance and Art History...During the first two years after leaving Fordham, I spent much time both in the steel canyons of New York City...I decided to return to College. I attended the University of Maryland where I studied Mathematics, Engineering, Sculpture and Music. I eventually graduated an active sculptor of stone, timber and metals with a degree in Structural Engineering. I worked as a consulting structural engineer for 10 years, fortunate to practicing with some of the leading firms in both the Washington, DC area and the country."

Some of the pieces leave me yawning as well. He's clearly got a jones for Mondrian, although I guess there are worse things. But some of them are interesting:

http://www.sirvet.com/works.php?id=92

and this one's kinda cool: http://www.sirvet.com/works.php?id=11

Thanks,

Bill

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Ok, the poplar bed is interesting, but I think the other stuff is ugly. Of course, I think Jackson Pollack's stuff is ugly too........
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Let's face it.
    How many of us would like to sell our projects at those prices?

How many of us would like to really go wild in our projects and be able to sell them at those prices?

There are several things involved here, one is lateral thinking, another is courage to do "crazy" things, and last but not least sell them well.

I'd like to challenge all of you to make something wild, I bet that many of you would find it really difficult. It is not a matter of putting a bunch of things from the waste yard togheter, it is a matter of doing it in an appealing manner.

Try it and you'll be surprised how difficult it is.

That guy found out a way to catch Michael Jordan attention by relating the product to him personally, it was a one single person target market, and he made a bull's eye.

If you look at his gallery he took a single concept "making holes on things" and he is exploring it over and over, why? First because it sells and if you find an idea that sells you will not change it for another that doesn't, second it becomes his motto or "style" so that once people see one of his pieces they remember
    it. The comment could be: Oh yeah, is that guy that makes holes on things, isn't it weard? original? crazy? Stupid? ( pick the one you like but eventually you'll be talking about and remebering that guy's work or name.
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 01-16-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Well, I think the table is cool, and I applaud the guy for the hole concept. (Pun intended.) I like it. It may look like a piece of sheet steel with a bunch of holes, but try drilling a specific number of various sizes of holes into an object and make it look totally random. It's a lot harder than you might think.

And some of you are inferring that his prices are high. That might be the case, but I couldn't find any of his prices listed.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

And some of you are inferring that his prices are high. That might be the case, but I couldn't find any of his prices listed.
    well, unless he's giving the stuff away, his prices are too high...
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie