art??? gimme a break

Frank Fusco

I think the art is in fooling people into believing there is something special here and paying ridikulus big bucks for it.
Still, I have to credit him with being able to get away with it.
Check this out:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...dinner-table-with-32-292-holes?urn=nba-307814

And, be sure to check out the 'artists' web site.
I think I'll go to the garbage dump tomorrow to find some 'art' to sell. Prices will start at $100,000.00 for small stuff. :rolleyes:

I don't know, Frank. He sounds like a pretty interesting guy:

"I attended Fordham University in New York City where I studied Finance and Art History...During the first two years after leaving Fordham, I spent much time both in the steel canyons of New York City...I decided to return to College. I attended the University of Maryland where I studied Mathematics, Engineering, Sculpture and Music. I eventually graduated an active sculptor of stone, timber and metals with a degree in Structural Engineering. I worked as a consulting structural engineer for 10 years, fortunate to practicing with some of the leading firms in both the Washington, DC area and the country."

Some of the pieces leave me yawning as well. He's clearly got a jones for Mondrian, although I guess there are worse things. But some of them are interesting:

http://www.sirvet.com/works.php?id=92

and this one's kinda cool: http://www.sirvet.com/works.php?id=11

10-large.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

Let's face it.
How many of us would like to sell our projects at those prices?

How many of us would like to really go wild in our projects and be able to sell them at those prices?

There are several things involved here, one is lateral thinking, another is courage to do "crazy" things, and last but not least sell them well.

I'd like to challenge all of you to make something wild, I bet that many of you would find it really difficult. It is not a matter of putting a bunch of things from the waste yard togheter, it is a matter of doing it in an appealing manner.

Try it and you'll be surprised how difficult it is.

That guy found out a way to catch Michael Jordan attention by relating the product to him personally, it was a one single person target market, and he made a bull's eye.

If you look at his gallery he took a single concept "making holes on things" and he is exploring it over and over, why? First because it sells and if you find an idea that sells you will not change it for another that doesn't, second it becomes his motto or "style" so that once people see one of his pieces they remember
it. The comment could be: Oh yeah, is that guy that makes holes on things, isn't it weard? original? crazy? Stupid? ( pick the one you like but eventually you'll be talking about and remebering that guy's work or name.

Last edited:
Well, I think the table is cool, and I applaud the guy for the hole concept. (Pun intended.) I like it. It may look like a piece of sheet steel with a bunch of holes, but try drilling a specific number of various sizes of holes into an object and make it look totally random. It's a lot harder than you might think.

And some of you are inferring that his prices are high. That might be the case, but I couldn't find any of his prices listed.

I kinda like the guys stuff! Most of what I saw looks much more difficult to make that what many here exhibit. I completely understand that his work doesn't appeal to all, but thats what makes life interesting!

I too kinda like his pieces. The hole laden table as Art is not something I would buy, but from what I read the owner appreciates it as a representation of his achievements. To that end, the piece 'works',after all it was made specifically for him. It doesn't have to be 'good' for anyone else in the world. though I suspect that it has appeal for many people.

Actually, I find his spacial balance of mass to be very elegant. His unique interpretation of what would stimulate his customer to purchase this is very astute. And his panache for expression is awesome.

That may leave us not liking his art and criticizing his prices (to which we were not privy in the article). But it speaks more to our intimidation of that which is different.

All in all, I kind of like the table. It has no place in my home or my life, but then I have never accomplished more than 32,000 of anything. I bow to the man's creativity, humbly wishing I were that brave.

Actually, I find his spacial balance of mass to be very elegant. His unique interpretation of what would stimulate his customer to purchase this is very astute. And his panache for expression is awesome.

That may leave us not liking his art and criticizing his prices (to which we were not privy in the article). But it speaks more to our intimidation of that which is different.

All in all, I kind of like the table. It has no place in my home or my life, but then I have never accomplished more than 32,000 of anything. I bow to the man's creativity, humbly wishing I were that brave.

:huh: What she said :dunno:

I sometimes wish I had a more artistic side. I'm trying to cultivate my artistic eye through photography. It's one thing to point a camera at something pretty and take a picture. It's another thing to shape and create the image.

I'm not very artistic when It comes to woodworking either, but I wish I was.

In a lot of these endeavors I think it's all about the eye. Either seeing something a different way, or looking for the details that will make the piece pop. Take for example some of Larrys projects. He works to find the best piece of wood he can and to orient the grain so that it pops. There is a definite 'eye' required for that kind of thing.

So I'm going to work on cultivating the artistic eye, but I'm facing an uphill battle, I'm a Capricorn after all... :rofl:

I think a lot of his stuff is pretty dang cool and wish I had the creativity to come up with stuff like that, the knowledge to do it, and the patience to see it to completion.
It's good to be different

Several comments, starting with Toni, are, I agree, on the money regarding artistic ability. Some folks can create interesting objects or pictures while others cannot. Some see art in objects that others just see as 'things'.
As a photographer I was pretty good, won my share of awards and put beans on the table for many years with my cameras. But certain artistic challenges have always alluded me. I have often tried to get a great artistic shot of twisted old trees, stumps, or whatever without success. They come out looking like trees and stumps. And, yes, I spent many years in the darkroom attempting to coax that art out of my negatives.
Still, I have seen my share of 'art' and often cannot understand the attraction. Broken toilets or urinals in art galleries with fake 'stuff' in them selling for tens of thousands of dollars strikes me a just plain nutso, not art. I have photographed (on assignment, not choice) large canvases painted one solid color that won big awards in art competitions. I don't understand.
The furniture in question leaves me cold and, to me, is simply a hoax on those who would rather drop big bucks to show they can afford it rather than admit it is nonsense. I think the real art here is the hustle and promotion, not the table. Most folks wouldn't have it in their house much less spend big money for it.
OK, so now I have insulted half the population you may call me boring if you wish. :rolleyes:

Well Frank, I disagree with you, but you certainly haven't insulted me. Also I don't think anyone can say you are boring either. :thumb::wave:

I like a lot of the stuff on his sight, in fact I saved several pics to use as inspiration for future ideas...there is no way I would have the paitence to drill that many holes...wonder if was done on with a water jet or other automated machine. :dunno:

Frank,
I'm certainly not offended, and I Know you'd have to go a LOT further to offend 99% of us. Your 'eye' simply doesn't match his.
I used to hang out in the art department when I was in college. I was a psych major, who snuck in and was taking photography classes. I'd never been around artists doing creative work. A Lot of what they made was not what I would have called Art... and yet, I got a certain lift off of being around them as they struggled to be creative on demand. By the end of the semester there would be Art in the student show, though.