Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home built miter/clamping station

home built miter/clamping station

I'm doing my darndest to get ready to start up my shop once the weather improves. Here is something I have had on hand, but never got a photo of. It is a Miter saw stand and clamping station. Pardon the wierd angle, but it is in my storage unit, and I'm not moving those boards just for a photo op. (thought of the pic 'cause I was retrieving my CMS yesterday.)

It is constructed of 3/4" CDX ply, two 1/4 sheets, one for the support panel and the other for the top and risers of the clamping station. The top is level with my CMS which is mounted to a piece of plywood I had handy. The slots are so that you can put an F-body clamp in and clamp down a workpiece or extension fences for the CMS.

slightly better angle

I took part of the design from the Ultimate Tool stand, which American Woodworker published several years ago, scaled it down to just fit the CMS and kept the clamping slots. It is just about 5' long, with simple 2x4 legs. I'm intending to use it for cutting the lumber when I build my minibarn workshop in the spring.

Frank Pellow and any former creekers might recall a sketch I posted over there, well, I never did get the wheels put on it, think I'll leave them off, as this is not all that heavy, and I hope to get the shop up and roofed in just a couple of weeks. "Finished' might take as long as marty's shop, but that's another story.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 02-19-2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: really long winded
    -Ned

Good job Ned. The clamping slots are a great idea.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Nice job.

That sure looks more like a lumber storage table to me though

Allen,
    thanks, that was what the UTS has also.

Steve, those are truss parts, I'm all ready and rarin' to go. MOving those two by's is why the wierd angle.
    -Ned

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hi Ned

THAT'S IT!

That is the idea that's been bouncing around in my head. (The clamping setup for the MS bench.) I just couldn't nail it down. Ever had an idea you just couldn't form into a complete picture?
    Would you mind terribly if I adapted your idea to my bench when I get to that portion of my "Dummy Do" list?

(I told ya I like pictures to steal ideas.... )

DT

Don,
    i can do better than that, you've got a PM.
    -Ned

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Don,
    i can do better than that, you've got a PM.
    Thanks Ned!

DT

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dunlap View Post
    Fantastic idea. Any chance of getting a sketch or plans to make one for myself? I've also been wanting to make something for my CMS, but like Don, I've never got my head wrapped around it.
    Matt, you've got a PM, but here's a bit more detail on the construction:

AW's ultimate tool stand is where I got the clamping slots idea. my version eliminates the tool storage and so on, but all I needed was the CMS and clamping parts. The vertical parts of the clamping sections are sized to match my CMS mounted on a 1/2" piece of plywood. which secures with bolts down into t-nuts sunk into bottom of the platform. THe basic platform is 2'/x4' plus a bit of overhang from the top surface.

The exact spacing etc... are IIRC about 3" between the verticals, which are set 1" back from the edge of the top pieces. That allows plenty of room to slide in an f-clamp and secure the workpiece. I'm going to go down to HF and pick up a half dozen or so of their 6" f-clamps, they're just about the ideal size for clamping things down on this. HTH,
    -Ned

Ned,

I look forward to your in-progress reports on this one.

In the meantime, I sure hope that all the white stuff starts to melt. It will be around 60F here today, and hopefully it will find its way to you in upstate NY. We used to live in Fairport, just outside Rochester, eons ago, so I understand what those piles mean - long time indoors, and freezing weather for several months.

Al
    Watch videos from Woodworking in America in Berea, KY
    New blog URL: http://sandal-woodsblog.com/
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
    We will build your heirlooms

Al,
    I sure will keep y'all updated. The truck is cleared off and the driveway clear, but the weather is indeed supposed to get warmer ( Sure hope so, weather guy this morning kept mentioning 'below zero' way too much for my tastes) this week.

Keep an eye on the 'carpentry and construction' forum, I estimate about a month before sawdust is going to be flying.
    -Ned