Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How well does a Mortiser attachment for drillpress work?

How well does a Mortiser attachment for drillpress work?

Just a quick question,

I've noticed in several photos of peoples shops that they have a mortising attachment for their drill press.
    So my question is -

How well does the mortising attachment for a drill press work verses a dedicated machine? Is it something that is good for the occasional use but not on a constant basis or is it just as good?

Thanks!

Brian

I'm not a fan of them. It takes a while to put on the press, and then you have to remove it to use it as a drill press again. Additionally, the handle on most drill presses do not give you enough leverage.

They tend to wind up in the drawer after a use or two. If you want a mortising machine, buy a mortising machine. Alternately, and less expensive, use the drill press to drill out the mortise and then clean it up with a chisel.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have never had a problem with my drill press mortising attachment.
    How ever there is a lot of extra parts that came with it. That take to much time to set up and than don't work all that well.
    I would say the biggest thing to having a MM is that one could/would mount it in a place that you would have plenty of bench on either side to support your work. Other than that a MM is nothing more than a drill press dedicated to making square holes.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

I'm pretty much with Mike on this one. You have only to use a dedicated mortiser once to realize what a difference it makes.

The drill press version will (sort of) work, but it's just about as easy to use a regular drill bit to hog out the waste, then clean up the sides and ends with a chisel.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have both. Id go with Jim and Mike, buy a mortiser. I havent turned back once and dont even know where I put the mortising attachment.

If you are really thinking about a mortiser, look at the Harbor Freight model. Does what it is supposed to do, cost is very reasonable. You can almost pick it up for the cost of the attachment.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Steve is correct, I bought the HF mortiser and it included 3 bits and chisels.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

But if you want to save some money and experiment, I've got one I could send you for the cost of a flat rate box...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm not a fan of them. It takes a while to put on the press, and then you have to remove it to use it as a drill press again. Additionally, the handle on most drill presses do not give you enough leverage.

They tend to wind up in the drawer after a use or two. If you want a mortising machine, buy a mortising machine. Alternately, and less expensive, use the drill press to drill out the mortise and then clean it up with a chisel.

Mike
    What Mike said!

I spent hours and hours trying to get one to work at all. my boss at the time insisted that it would work, I eventually got it working fairly well, but when you added up all of my hours of working to get it at that point, we could have bought most of a decent mortising machine.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The mortising attachment takes a long time to set up and adjust. Once it's tuned in, my experience was that it works fine. Make sure you stage your work to do all of the mortising for a given project at one time. Also, your drill press is effectively out of commission while the mortising set up is on there.

I did this for a few years and came across a good used mortising machine that i use now. It's a lot easier to dial in for a given task and has more leverage (as someone else mentioned) for bigger holes and harder woods.