Shop Drawers?

I used 3/4" Pine for the sides, Dovetail fronts and 1/4" plywood bottoms. Drawers are 6" deep 16" wide, X 23"long W/full extension KV slides. It is what I had on hand so it is what I used. made my own chocolate handles to match the rest in the shop.
Chuck

I also used 3/4 pine dovetailed for the box with 1/4 ply dado's for the bottoms. For narrow drawers I used 1/2 dado's in the middle of the sides of the drawers and glued in a white oak strip waxed that serves as a drawer slide. They slide in dado's cut in the birch ply carcase. The drawer fronts are book matched curly/ spalted/ ambrosia maple screwed to the drawer box from the inside with a through hole for turned walnut drawer pulls.

What are you gonna be using for drawer slides?

If you want to get rid of all the hardware, and make the cabinet layout more versatile as well, I'd suggest making the drawer bottoms out of ¼" ply, but making them actually wider than the drawer. Make the cabinet "Euro-style" (no face frame) and cut dado's/kerfs in the sides for the ¼" ply to slide into.

Cut kerfs every inch or 1½", and you'll be able to move drawers up or down as their contents change.

Lee Valley sells pre-made metal drawers that work on this principle, but shop-made wooden ones work just as well, and can be sized to whatever you like.

I did a similar set up, only I got some UHMW tape from McMaster Carr to put in the saw kerf slide area so the drawers really slide easily. Drawer sides are 3/4" pine with pocket screws (ya gotta love those) and 1/4" BB ply for the bottoms glued and crown stapled. You can almost set up an assembly line to make them if you get a standard 1 or 2 sizes figured out and bulk cut everything.

vote for 1/2 ply

My drawers are made with butt joints, and 1/4" ply stapled to the bottoms. They come out perfectly square every time. Fasteners are glue and finish nail gun. You can make a drawer in minutes this way, and many of mine are 20 years old, have heavy loads, and work perfectly.

Lots of photos on my web site:
http://www.tomclarkbooks.com/tomclarkbooks.com/Practical_Shop_Cabinets.html

Drawer slides are kitchen bottom mount, either full extension or 3/4.

Attachments

• drawers.jpg
    drawers.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 39
My drawers are made with butt joints, and 1/4" ply stapled to the bottoms. They come out perfectly square every time. Fasteners are glue and finish nail gun. You can make a drawer in minutes this way, and many of mine are 20 years old, have heavy loads, and work perfectly.

Lots of photos on my web site:
http://www.tomclarkbooks.com/tomclarkbooks.com/Practical_Shop_Cabinets.html

Drawer slides are kitchen bottom mount, either full extension or 3/4.

Took a look at your site Tom and I think you and I are kindred spirits in terms of the various hobbies of woodworking, RC Planes, and Astronomy.... :thumb: