Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blumb Hinge Questions....

Blumb Hinge Questions....

I'm about to embark on the Great Humidor Building Adventure.

The doors will be about 160cm/63" tall and about 45cm/18" wide, they will be rail and stile glass doors. I worry that they will be two heavy for just two hinges on each door, so I'm thinking of going with four hinges on each door, just to make sure it is over kill

These are the hinges I'm looking at getting....

>> Silentia® Face Frame Soft-Closing Concealed Hinges <<

These doors will be a full 3/4" thick, or more (not sure yet), and they will overlap each other, so locking one door with the >> tall gang lock set << will secure both doors.

I do not want a center piece in the face frame, it is a display case for the cigars, so a center bit on the face frame would just get in the way, IMHO.

I will be making the humidor in two pieces, overall height will be 200cm/79" and will be 90cm/35" wide by about 45cm/18" deep.

I'm thinking the bottom unit will be about 60cm/24" tall, and a bit deeper than the top unit, I think this will look better. The bottom unit will have regular rail and tile doors, no glass, this area will be for storing boxes of cigars. The box of the cabinet will be made from plywood and the face frame and rails and stiles from solid wood, of course, I'm not sure what I'll go with, most likely walnut. The base unit will have a humidification device and fans to keep everything at 70% RH.

Well, that should do if for now, I'll have more questions as this goes forward!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sounds like it will be a fun project. I know I enjoyed making the one I did for my friend.

Will you be using any Spanish Cedar on the interior? Any lighting? I assume this is a display for the shop.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Sounds like it will be a fun project. I know I enjoyed making the one I did for my friend.

Will you be using any Spanish Cedar on the interior? Any lighting? I assume this is a display for the shop.
    Yes, a larger display for the L shop, it will be much like a china cabinet, if that makes sense.

No Spanish cedar, it is illegal to import it into Japan

I'm thinking that some low LED lights that come on when you open the doors would be cool!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Here is a little chart from rockler that my help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hinge_Load-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Here is a little chart from rockler that my help
    Thanks Tom!

Looks like the four hinges idea is about right
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yes, a larger display for the L shop, it will be much like a china cabinet, if that makes sense.

I'm thinking that some low LED lights that come on when you open the doors would be cool!
    Bummer. What if we built a crate out of it and shipped something to you? Might see if you can use/import Honduran mahogany. It has a humidity absorption rate comparable to that of Spanish cedar and the odor is pretty low. It won't have the same protection from tobacco worms, but should help.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    wow, that's a lot of cigars.........is that for your business or do you smoke a lot of cigars.....?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

How thick a glass are you using Stu? Those self closers are they the slow closing kind of do they have that tud when they close? When I built my china cabinet I went with the face frame hinges with slight self closing capabilities and they work great to keep the door in the closed position and look good too and they are wayyyyy cheaper than the Blum hinges and don't require the drilling of hing holes in the frame door. Don't get me wrong I like the blum hinges and have installed lots of them, I just find them a pain to use for more decorative work where a thinner stile and rail construction is nessisary (such as in a display case). They have new Blums out with lights built in too so when the door is open they light up the cabinet and they are cool looking.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Wonder why it is illegal to import?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

...No Spanish cedar, it is illegal to import it into Japan ...
    Interesting. Too bad, too, since it's the 'traditional' wood for lining humidors.

Phillipine Mahogany (AKA Luaun) ought to work well for the purpose, though. I know you can get that stuff there, since the last two times I moved from Japan back to the USA, the Japanese movers packed all my household goods in PM crates.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!