Blumb Hinge Questions....

Stuart Ablett

I'm about to embark on the Great Humidor Building Adventure. :thumb:

The doors will be about 160cm/63" tall and about 45cm/18" wide, they will be rail and stile glass doors. I worry that they will be two heavy for just two hinges on each door, so I'm thinking of going with four hinges on each door, just to make sure it is over kill ;)

These are the hinges I'm looking at getting....

>> Silentia® Face Frame Soft-Closing Concealed Hinges <<

These doors will be a full 3/4" thick, or more (not sure yet), and they will overlap each other, so locking one door with the >> tall gang lock set << will secure both doors.

I do not want a center piece in the face frame, it is a display case for the cigars, so a center bit on the face frame would just get in the way, IMHO.

I will be making the humidor in two pieces, overall height will be 200cm/79" and will be 90cm/35" wide by about 45cm/18" deep.

I'm thinking the bottom unit will be about 60cm/24" tall, and a bit deeper than the top unit, I think this will look better. The bottom unit will have regular rail and tile doors, no glass, this area will be for storing boxes of cigars. The box of the cabinet will be made from plywood and the face frame and rails and stiles from solid wood, of course, I'm not sure what I'll go with, most likely walnut. The base unit will have a humidification device and fans to keep everything at 70% RH.

Well, that should do if for now, I'll have more questions as this goes forward! :wave:

Sounds like it will be a fun project. I know I enjoyed making the one I did for my friend.

Will you be using any Spanish Cedar on the interior? Any lighting? I assume this is a display for the shop.

Sounds like it will be a fun project. I know I enjoyed making the one I did for my friend.

Will you be using any Spanish Cedar on the interior? Any lighting? I assume this is a display for the shop.

Yes, a larger display for the L shop, it will be much like a china cabinet, if that makes sense.

No Spanish cedar, it is illegal to import it into Japan :rolleyes: :dunno:

I'm thinking that some low LED lights that come on when you open the doors would be cool! :thumb:

Yes, a larger display for the L shop, it will be much like a china cabinet, if that makes sense.

No Spanish cedar, it is illegal to import it into Japan :rolleyes: :dunno:

I'm thinking that some low LED lights that come on when you open the doors would be cool! :thumb:

Bummer. What if we built a crate out of it and shipped something to you? ;) Might see if you can use/import Honduran mahogany. It has a humidity absorption rate comparable to that of Spanish cedar and the odor is pretty low. It won't have the same protection from tobacco worms, but should help.

How thick a glass are you using Stu? Those self closers are they the slow closing kind of do they have that tud when they close? When I built my china cabinet I went with the face frame hinges with slight self closing capabilities and they work great to keep the door in the closed position and look good too and they are wayyyyy cheaper than the Blum hinges and don't require the drilling of hing holes in the frame door. Don't get me wrong I like the blum hinges and have installed lots of them, I just find them a pain to use for more decorative work where a thinner stile and rail construction is nessisary (such as in a display case). They have new Blums out with lights built in too so when the door is open they light up the cabinet and they are cool looking.

...No Spanish cedar, it is illegal to import it into Japan :rolleyes: :dunno:...

Interesting. Too bad, too, since it's the 'traditional' wood for lining humidors.

Phillipine Mahogany (AKA Luaun) ought to work well for the purpose, though. I know you can get that stuff there, since the last two times I moved from Japan back to the USA, the Japanese movers packed all my household goods in PM crates.

I have a strong aversion to using European hinges on a face frame... why don't you just cut the width of the face frame to 19 mm and call it edge banding? You will gain a couple inches opening in the cabinet, and mounting the hinges on the side of the cabinet is far more stable.

When I visited my sister in her almost new VERY high end home, half the kitchen cabinet doors were coming off... I finally found some very long #8 screws that I could pre-drill and drive a couple inches into the face frames to get enough strength to hold the hinges on the face frame - out an inch+ from the cabinet sides. I have never had euro hinges mounted to the cabinet sides come loose like they do on face frames.

Charlie, you are making me rethink the Euro style hinge. :D

I am looking more at these.....

>> Parliament Hinges <<

66759-01-500.jpg

66759-02-500.jpg

They come in two sizes, 6" and 8" I would think that even just two of the 8" hinges on each door would be more than enough...? I am not set up for the cup hinges, no drill bit etc, so that is another strike against them.

I will also have some soft warm LED lighting inside, with a pressure switch that turns them one when the door is opened.

Lots of work to do at the L shop this month; humidor to build, two new wine shelves to build, a rack for wrapping paper to build, some organizer boxes to build for under the counters, a cabinet to modify so we have a place for a garbage can, I can't believe that we and the design company forgot about a place for a garbage can :p Lots to do, so I'd better get at it.

What do you all think about the Parliament Hinges?

The door handles would be of the same finish, so at least they would match?

Cheers!

The parliament hinges look nice, but a bit pricey. I just got some of the full inset hinges that Drew posted from wwhardware.com and look nice, but a 1/5 th of the price.

The parliament hinges look nice, but a bit pricey. I just got some of the full inset hinges that Drew posted from wwhardware.com and look nice, but a 1/5 th of the price.

I had not checked the hinge prices or the parliment hinges. Just a sec while I pick my chin off the floor. Wow that is one expensive hinge. I seem to remember cost was one of the reasons that i went with the full inset hinges as they were actually reasonably priced when you buy in bulk.

I know they are expensive, but they looks like they will really hold the weight for many many years and I don't have to ever worry about them being less than I need. The L shop will pay for this, and in fact we just got some great news from the tobacco company that has thus far footed the bill, they will pay us about $4900 US for various sundry costs associated with the renovation, being closed for two days and having to buy some new equipment. What really happened is that they kind of stepped on the other major tobacco company's toes. You see we had a three year contract with them to the rights in and outside the shop for the space, for adverts etc, that contract ended on Dec 31st 2010, originally this renovation was supposed to happen in the beginning of October, but then I got diagnosed with cancer and the plan was pushed back until now. They had budgeted the $4900 for paying off the other company for the last few months of their contract being broken, but because I got sick, that did not happen. The big boss decided that we should have the money to use for other things. They were going to build us a humidor, but it was junk, and made from particle board, not even MDF! :eek: :doh:No way was I going to put pricey cigars in that humidor. In the end, we have a budget here to build the humidor and do a few other fix it up things around the L shop, so I'll be getting some new tools to do the work as well, a few new saw blades and such :D

A heck of a lot of work, but that has never stopped me before! :rolleyes: :wave:

It is amazing that you are selling smoking products in a display case there Stu. Here all smoking products are banned from display of any kind. They are behind blinds in gas stations and in stores so that no one can see them . No smoking within 10 ft of any doorway. Smoking in bars is banned as well as parks now.

Stu good to see you have another major Reno project.
When I look at those parliament hinges by comparison to th hinges Drew posted, I am looking at how the hinge carries the load. On the parliament the load on the pivoting axle is all centered at the point where the two halts come together, versus being balanced on either side on the Drew unit. My view would be that for a heavy load wear would occur greater on the parliament ones than the other option. I do think you should consider just how much these doors would be used by comparison to any other woodworking project where perhaps heavy doors are less frequently used and then if they are they would be used by owners. I am assuming Joe public is going to be the user here? You do want to make the cabinet match the image of a fine exotic cigar though think Dunhill store (lol)