Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military

Military

Well My sons have signed up for the military two days ago and have been called for the interview already. They are going in for engineer training and officer training. It is humorus listening to them talk as they are under the impression that they don't have to do basic as they are after officer training and think they don't have to do the same training as everyone else. Oh I wish I was there when they learn different.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

I learned first-hand never to believe anything a recruiter says.

My son is signed up to go to basic (Navy) in June. He's gotten pretty fit, but I'm looking forward to the realization he's going to have of what 'fit' is.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

My youngest lost 100 lbs in 7 months through working out and diet and they are both in great shape, The kids have no idea what they are in for. Oh and that the europe trip that they are planning in March will still happen as the military will just work around their schedule. Yep that is what they said. Really. I responded with " let me know how that works out for ya".

Really I am proud of them for joining but they have the know it all attitude and I would just like to be there the first day when a drill sargent gets into their face and starts a yelling. They think I yell lots because I am over half deaf have no idea what yelling is yet.
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 01-18-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hatfield View Post

I learned first-hand never to believe anything a recruiter says.
    My son can testify to that. When he joined to be a corpsman, I asked him what the chances of him being attached to the marines and he said the recruiter said he would be given a choice to go Navy (blue) or go with the marines (green), He's been in 10 years had three deployment with the marine and is yet to set foot on a ship..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Yup, recruiters never stretch the truth

Good for them. We are all proud of them
    Faith, Hope & Charity

My nephew had a similar experience when he was told that he could get into the army right away rather than waiting and he could just transfer into the navy later. Well after so many years he was able to do it only he was stationed in Edmonton ( check out on a map where the ocean is lol). He still has not stepped foot on a ship even though he was transfered to Victoria a few years ago. He is now just waiting for his time to be up and then he is out. Just like most kids mine know everything ( just as I did when I was their age) and they have to learn through experience. I think that will be the best thing for them.

My biggest problem in Navy boot camp was boredom. They didn't worry about getting us fit they just tried to get us to where we could stand living on a postage stamp with a couple hundred other guys.

However I ended up with a P3 squadron and the closest I ever got to a Navy ship was about 3-400 feet above one.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    My biggest problem in Navy boot camp was boredom. They didn't worry about getting us fit they just tried to get us to where we could stand living on a postage stamp with a couple hundred other guys.

However I ended up with a P3 squadron and the closest I ever got to a Navy ship was about 3-400 feet above one.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    My son is signed up to go to basic (Navy) in June. He's gotten pretty fit, but I'm looking forward to the realization he's going to have of what 'fit' is.
    When I did Navy basic in the year of .... it was 9 weeks of marching... I think we did PT about twice a week, then it was mostly jumping jacks and push ups for about 20 minutes... I went in as a skinny 19 year old, 6'1" (nearly) and 133 lbs...my jersey size was a 38 in the chest.. pants were 28 in the waist... I gained 15 lbs in boot camp... more because we were marched to the chow hall 3 times a day and they plopped food on your tray whether you wanted or liked it or not, and were not allowed to throw it away... My records show that I am a qualified marksman with an M1 rifle, even though to this day a little over 50 years later, I've never held, much less fired an M1. I am also noted as being qualified with a .45...(you are supposed to be qualified with a .45 to be a second class petty officer) my first time to fire one was in the last 4 or 5 months of my deployment, aboard ship at sea, the gunner's mate handed me one and instructed me to shoot down a weather balloon tethered off the fantail.... you cannot shoot down a weather balloon with a .45... the bullets will only deflect the balloon, not penetrate... I did hit the Pacific Ocean every time.... I'm good at marching.

Drew, congratulations to your boys...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.