Elementary Crosscut Sled Question

I'm making a crosscut sled for the TS. My question is, all of the sleds I see drawings for show a very small or zero clearance between the blade the sled on either side of the blade. Does that mean you never make cuts with the blade tilted when using the sled? Seems to me you can do that with zero clearance....no?

thanks, and yes, I'll post some pics when I have something worth seeing....;)

I have multiple cross cut sleds. I've got three right now.

1) is a very versatile nicely made one. I never cut with a bevel on this one. I use it for probably 80% of the crosscuts I make on the table saw.

2) is a quick knock off one that I use for bevel cuts

3) is a really long one that I use for trimming up panels. I just made this one the other day in about 15 minutes.

I've had multiple sleds in the past for each. I need to make a new one and thinking about doing it with a replaceable strip so I can have one sled to use with multiple inserts for each use.

There's just something nice about using a crosscut sled, especially when working with smaller pieces. It makes things very controllable and comfortable.

That's the beauty of the inserts. I have a stack of blanks pre-drilled for the screw holes and a stack of ones that have been used for all sorts of angles, dados, etc. I just mark on the underside of them with a pencil; left 1/2" dado or whatever they were used for (mark the fence insert too). Inserts get used many times and so far I have only tossed one set in a few years. If an insert gets damaged for its intended purpose, it becomes available for a purpose that will make a larger opening ;-)

My PBS channel carries the Woodsmith Shop, and they were doing a sled that let you adjust the right side of the sled to accomodate cutting dado's. It looked like a nice sled.